Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Working with XML data

I need to show xml data in my report. This data is stored in an SQL table. How do I extract parts of this xml and convert it into a tabular data? I am doing it in my SSRS report, but copying and pasting T-SQL is not possible.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Markzolotoy,

I'd like to suggest you enter to query editor, add a custom column and try to use xml.document/xml.table to analysis this xml column, then expand the analysed xml table.

Accessing data functions

Xml.Document Returns the contents of an XML document as a hierarchical table (list of records).
Xml.Tables Returns the contents of an XML document as a nested collection of flattened tables.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@Markzolotoy I guess I'm confused. Couldn't you create a procedure to parse the xml and return the table that you want to load into Power BI?

How are you doing it for SSRS?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

In SSRS I am pulling an XML data into report first, then I use CTE in the report to convert it into the tabluar data.

@Markzolotoy This sounds like a stored procedure... not SSRS. Either that, or you are doing something I've never done in SSRS before.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

This is some of my SSRS query code:

DECLARE @xml XML = (select xmlData from @reportData)
;WITH rs AS
	(
		SELECT col.value('(ProjectName)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [ProjectName]
		, col.value('(PointName)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [PointName]
		, col.value('(PointDescription)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [PointDescription]
		, col.value('(Units)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [Units]
		, col.value('(TimeStamp)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [TimeStamp]
		, col.value('(EndDeratingTime)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [EndDeratingTime]
		, col.value('(RealTimeServiceDescription)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [RealTimeServiceDescription]
		, col.value('(CategoryName)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [CategoryName]
		, col.value('(ModeName)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [ModeName]
		, col.value('(Importance)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [Importance]
		, col.value('(AlarmStateIcon)[1]','varchar(max)') AS [AlarmStateIcon]
		FROM @xml.nodes('BadSensorReport/BadSensorDataRecords/BadSensorData') AS tab(col)
	)
	SELECT *, 
		case EndDeratingTime when '' then EndDeratingTime else CONVERT(varchar, CAST(EndDeratingTime AS datetime), 120) end as newDeratingTime, 
		CONVERT(varchar, CAST(TimeStamp AS datetime), 120) as newTimeStamp
	FROM rs
	ORDER BY ProjectName

That's how xml becomes tabluar data.

@Markzolotoy When you connect to SQL in Power BI you can click "advanced" and enter the query in that window... Have you tried that? Does it fail? You could wrap this in a stored procedure or Table Value Function in SQL and call that from the advanced window if the straight query fails.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.