Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

osinquinvdm
Advocate II
Advocate II

What if I want to use a cumulative measure but still be able to apply filters

I created a measure that it is accurately giving a running count over a subset of the data

Nb cumulatif de DDS_ALL = CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( '311_Details'[DDS] );
    FILTER (
         ALL('311_Details');('311_Details'[Nature]<>"Information")&&(
        '311_Details'[Date de Création] <= MAX ( '311_Details'[Date de Création] ))
    )
)	

2017-03-15 15_39_33-311-dashboard - Power BI Desktop.png

But I’d still like to apply filters so I tried replacing ALL('311_Details') by ALL('311_Details'[Date de Création]),

Nb cumulatif de DDS_ALL Dates = CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
         ALL('311_Details'[Date de Création]);('311_Details'[Nature]<>"Information")&&(
    )
)		

But then I get an error message

2017-03-15 15_29_46-311-dashboard - Power BI Desktop.png

That I solved by wrapping the column in a MAX() function.

WHY DO I GET THAT ERROR MESSAGE WHEN USING ALL() ON A SPECIFIC COLUMN?

IS WRAPPING THE COLUMN INTO A MAX() THE WAY TO GO?

FILTER (
         ALL('311_Details'[Date de Création]);(Max('311_Details'[Nature])<>"Information")&&(
    )
)	

But then, when I filter on a specific activity  I can see that filtering get applied because in 2014 I go from 338,132 to 11,391.

2017-03-15 16_11_17-311-dashboard - Power BI Desktop.png

But the filter on [Nature])<>"Information” did not get applied

I have to manually apply it to get to the expected number

2017-03-15 16_25_08-311-dashboard - Power BI Desktop.png

Which actually answers to my question above, wrapping the column into a MAX() function is not the way to go! J

I also tried using ALLEXCEPT('311_Details'; '311_Details'[Nature]), but that did not make a difference: I still get to use the max() wrapper.

and I get crazy numbers because the filter on the activity is not applied either

2017-03-15 16_36_52-311-dashboard - Power BI Desktop.png

Which I am able to solve by adding the activity column to the set of columns I can filter in

ALLEXCEPT('311_Details'; '311_Details'[Nature]; '311_Details'[Activité]))

But I can’t add all columns that way.

What I want is to be able to filter on any column but still get the embedded filter on [Nature])<>"Information” to apply – without having to resort to a page wide filter or some error prone filter like this.

Any explanation/idea?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
osinquinvdm
Advocate II
Advocate II

It's funny how a good night of sleep can bring clarity to any issue.

In the end it is just a matter of including in the ALL() every column that is used in the filtering conditions

FILTER (
         ALL('311_Details'[Date de Création]; '311_Details'[Nature]);('311_Details'[Nature]<>"Information")&&(
    )
)	

or like in this more advanced measure that counts only open requests and requires to 5 columns for the filtering logic:

Nb cumulatif de DDS ouvertes = CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL('311_Details'[Date de Création];'311_Details'[Date de Fin];'311_Details'[Date de Début];'311_Details'[Type de Statut];'311_Details'[Nature]);
        (('311_Details'[Date de Création]) <= MAX('311_Details'[Date de Création]))
        && (('311_Details'[Nature]) <> "Information")
		&& 
			((('311_Details'[Type de Statut])="Ouvertes")
            ||
			(('311_Details'[Date de Fin]) > MAX('311_Details'[Date de Création]) && ('311_Details'[Type de Statut])="Closes"))
             )
        )

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
osinquinvdm
Advocate II
Advocate II

It's funny how a good night of sleep can bring clarity to any issue.

In the end it is just a matter of including in the ALL() every column that is used in the filtering conditions

FILTER (
         ALL('311_Details'[Date de Création]; '311_Details'[Nature]);('311_Details'[Nature]<>"Information")&&(
    )
)	

or like in this more advanced measure that counts only open requests and requires to 5 columns for the filtering logic:

Nb cumulatif de DDS ouvertes = CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL('311_Details'[Date de Création];'311_Details'[Date de Fin];'311_Details'[Date de Début];'311_Details'[Type de Statut];'311_Details'[Nature]);
        (('311_Details'[Date de Création]) <= MAX('311_Details'[Date de Création]))
        && (('311_Details'[Nature]) <> "Information")
		&& 
			((('311_Details'[Type de Statut])="Ouvertes")
            ||
			(('311_Details'[Date de Fin]) > MAX('311_Details'[Date de Création]) && ('311_Details'[Type de Statut])="Closes"))
             )
        )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.