Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Web URL Images

Hi All,

I have an issue currently were I need to display an image in a card visual based upon the movement of financial data. 

in summary an up or down arrow if the value is higher or lower than the comparison. I had gone down the unicode path and this was working well but unfortunately this doesn't display correctly for all client machines so I need to come up with an alternative. 

I decided to try the ImageURL so I have created a calculated table which stores the WebURL's and I've set the category as ImageURL on the relevant column. On their own in a multi row card these images are displaying as I'd expect. However, what i need to do is display one of these images based upon a measure value. But, as you cannot set the category on a measure all I get returned is the string of the Web URL...

Has anyone found a way around this or am I missing something really obvious. 

Many Thanks

Dog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Dog,

I don't know how you have your data but to simulate you information I have done this:

Table Data: KPI, Budget, PY

Table Images: ID (Up, Down, Right), URL image

Column with Variation Budget - PY (based on your formula)

Column with Var chk (based on your formula) with lookupvalue format as Web URL

Then added the KPI + Var chk to the multi row card and the image as the change I wanted, if I change the information the images act accordingly.

To give further detail I would need more details on the information and to waht level you want to have it, because if the KPI's are based on YTD, MTD value the setup may have to suffer some changes.

Regards

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Dog,

I have a dashboard that uses URL images and made use of the custom visual "Image Viewer" this allows me to interact with the slicers or graphs in a dinamic way, I don't know how you have the summary set up but you can have the image associated with the interaction of the slicers/graphs and have the image changing.

images.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @Dog,

I just change my PBI to the multi row card and it also works fine, how do you want to set up the filter to the card? A slicer? A graph? how do you know what is the image you want to display.

images_2.png

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I am using it to replace a usual KPI, my client wants to see up and down arrows. 

so there is no slicer I can use, the output will be determined based upon financial data YoY 

I have a measure that currently performs. 

BudgetVsPreviousYear:=

var FC_FY = [Budget FY]
var BD_FY = [Actual PFY]

var RetVal = FC_FY - BD_FY

I was then doing this using unicode 

return IF(ROUND(RetVal, -3) > 0, "⯅", IF(ROUND(RetVal, -3) < 0, "⯆", "⯇⯈"))

but this didn't display correctly for all users. 

but i want to 

var Chk = IF(ROUND(RetVal, -3) > 0, "Up", IF(ROUND(RetVal, -3) < 0, "Down", "Right"))

return LOOKUPVALUE(ImageTable[ImageURL], ImageTable[Name], Chk)

//the image table stores the name (up, down or right) for each url.

@Dog,

I have made the same variables as you and was abble to make the images coincide did you format the var Chk as an Image URL?

The first try that i did I only add the URL after changing the format it worked.

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @MFelix

didn't realise you could format the variables ... 🙂 how did you do this? 

Thanks

Dog

@Dog,

I'm not formating the variables I have added the last var chk as a column in the table and then format that result into URL Image.

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Sorry @MFelix

perhaps I'm being a bit slow here. 

on the visual is the output the new column you've created? 

if so, how are you controlling the output to only show the image you want based upon the results of the measure, ideally I need this dynamic. 

I do appreciate the help 🙂

@Dog,

I don't know how you have your data but to simulate you information I have done this:

Table Data: KPI, Budget, PY

Table Images: ID (Up, Down, Right), URL image

Column with Variation Budget - PY (based on your formula)

Column with Var chk (based on your formula) with lookupvalue format as Web URL

Then added the KPI + Var chk to the multi row card and the image as the change I wanted, if I change the information the images act accordingly.

To give further detail I would need more details on the information and to waht level you want to have it, because if the KPI's are based on YTD, MTD value the setup may have to suffer some changes.

Regards

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Thanks @MFelix

I got there eventually after your previous post, I wasn't aware that the calculated column would change value based on the measure - was so happy to see that work. 

🙂

Dog

@Dog

Good to have helped 😄

Best wishes 

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Thanks alot @MFelix

I forgot to mention that I cannot use custom visuals either 😞 as my client needs to export to Power Point. 

That said I hadn't realised that this visual existed so I will use that in the future. 

I will mark yours as the solution if no one else comes up with any other potential options... although I am rapidly believing that this isn't going to be possible any other way 

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.