Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RWitte
Regular Visitor

WaterFall Formula Option

Did you ever try to create a Waterfall chart and you run into a chart that just adds everything and looks like this?

WaterFall1stTry.png

Other solutions I have found here involve creating another custom table that does measures the +/- by time period but that can become cumbersome with multiple measures, tables, and time frames.  They do not allow me to use my current data set and history.  That is because I get weekly bucket data. 

I was able to work out the following formula which enables me to easily get a net change by period, grouped dates, and use the formula to create the same for other measures very quickly.  I just haven’t seen anything like this on the community so I thought the solution would come in handy.  Here is what the same measure looks like using the Waterfall equation.WaterFallBetter.png

A few notes:

I use a WeekNumber Ascending/Descending to keep my charts cleaner and in line with other templates.  You can use dates, months, years whatever just make sure you update the formula to match and a table to make Asc/Desc correlating numbers.  It also enables me to group weeks and maintain Week 1 as the most current week etc.  I grouped weeks 52 through week 27 and that gave me a great starting bar so I can evaluate the full change over a year but with 26 weeks of detail.  This too can be adjusted or grouped to your liking. 

WeekNum can be replaced by your number based reference column and the logic still works.  You will just have to change MAX to MIN or “-“ to “+” depending on how you want the flow to happen.  So minor changes may be needed.  You can get more complicated and create Tables that give dimensions (names of products etc) a number and use that to get the same effect by charting by that fact. 

Volume = SUM(Volume)  ß Used in the first graph

Volume_WF = CALCULATE(sum(Table[Volume]),FILTER(ALL(dWeekList),dWeekList[Week_Seq_Number_Desc]=MAX(dWeekList[Week_Seq_Number_Desc]))) - CALCULATE(sum(Table[Volume]),FILTER(ALL(dWeekList),(dWeekList[Week_Seq_Number_Desc] -1 )=MAX(dWeekList[Week_Seq_Number_Dec])))

I hope this helps you make some great charts and struggle a little less with one of the best visuals BI has!

RW

2 REPLIES 2
klabir
Helper V
Helper V

Have a look at the PowerBI Ultimate Waterfall Chart

http://dataviz.boutique/2017/03/22/powerbi-ultimate-waterfall-custom-visual/

BR

Klaus

M8.PNG

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RWitte,

Thanks for your sharing.Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.