Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GIO200011
Frequent Visitor

Visual interaction with visual level filter

I want to my visuals interact with each other, so they can cross filter. But I have some visual filter in the visuals that affect them differently, so when I select a category from visual 1, affects the other visuals but also take the visual level filter from visual 1. What can I do to avoid the visual level filter to expand the other visuals?

My data is like this:

Rep. Ventas

Material

Qty

Date

Product A

2/1/2018

Product B

2/1/2018

Product C

2/1/2018

Product B

2/1/2018

Product C

2/2/2018

Product B

2/2/2018

Product B

2/2/2018

I have only one measure: Volume=SUM(Qty)

I will try to explain using pivot tables, where filters would be visual level filter, and having a better vision.

My main Material here is Product B, so I have a visual that shows the volume of Product B by Salesman.

Porduct B.png

The other visuals show the total of Product A and C:

Porduct A and C.png

What I want to do is when I select the salesman the other visuals filter by that salesman and show the Product A and C by that salesman; but what really happens is that they filter by the salesman I selected and Material Product B. And as they are already filter by one Material, they show blank.

Here are some images of Power BI (the data is larger, the previous one was just a sample):

Initial, without interactions

No crossfilterNo crossfilter

When select any salesman in the visual

With visual interactionWith visual interaction

But if I select from a slicer

From slicerFrom slicer

Using a slicer is my last option, because I have other visuals in this page and I would like they have interaction. The only approach that came to me is to create a measure for each product, but I have more than 200 products so...

I tried to explain the more I could, and to simplify the most. I hope you can help me, if you need more information, please ask!

Regards,

-Giovany

4 REPLIES 4
GIO200011
Frequent Visitor

Please, help me!

I think i figured out what is going on here... 

Do you have two different columns being used in the Slicer and in the Table.  If the slice is referencing a dimension table and the bar chart is using a fact table.  The relationship that is set up between the fact table and the slicer would allow the relationship direction to only be applied in one direction.  You might want to try to change the relationships in your database to filter in both directions.  That might resolve your issue. 

Mike Carlo ( https://powerbi.tips )
mike@PowerBI.Tips

This can be accomplished by adjusting the filtering type properties on the visual.  

1. Select the visual

2. Click the Format Ribbon

3. Select Edit Interactions

4. When you hilight the visual, all the other visuals on the page will now show icons that change the behavior.  Change the filter setting from Selection to Filter.  

Here is a video on how to do this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

Mike Carlo ( https://powerbi.tips )
mike@PowerBI.Tips

Hi @Mike_Carlo. Thanks for you reply!

Did you actually read my post? That is not my problem. It's the expand of the visual level filter to the other visuals, and it should be only the category that I selected.

Please, let me know wheter the information I brought is not clear.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.