Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ballade4
Frequent Visitor

Visual has exceeded the available resources. Tips on how to streamline / better understand limits?

Yes, I know that I am not the first to ask about this.  However I do not agree with the "solutions" in other threads.

I have a relatively complex report that works well on the desktop app but is bombing out on the web portal. Apparently, it is requesting 1048584KB which is just shy of the 1048576KB limit.

This report is a matrix, built as follows:

PricingCommMatrix.png

It is connected to two primary data sources, along with some tertiary feeds and helper tables. One of these is a sales detail table that is a CSV 887MB in size. The other is a purchasing detail table that is an XLS 26MB in size.

I have filtered out portions of the sales table (by date) in the Edit Queries screen. I have also filtered out specific item divisions in the matrix. It is the second step that was allowing this visual to function previously (took out a few not-needed divisions and it started working again, but now this no longer seems to work).

I would like to not just get a quick answer here, but also to better understand how Power BI is allocating the memory and how I can streamline. The rest of the report is using the same data but this is the only visual that fails to load (aside from some tables that are on a line-level and are intended to be filtered down via slicers prior to displaying information). Will add that there are some relatively complex measures that are firing on this visual and not used anywhere else, presuming this has a lot to do with memory demands...right?

1 REPLY 1
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@ballade4,

Give us more information:

1. Where are your CSV and XLS files located? (Your PC/One drive/One drive for business etc.)
  2. Do you use Data Gateway for that?
  3. Do you have the specific capacity like Power BI Premium or Power BI Embedded? Which SKU (if applicable)?
  4. I assume you connect via Import mode because you load files. Can you go to Resource Monitor in Windows, then run a refresh of the report in Power BI Desktop and check how much memory it is consuming? It will be approximate RAM usage for a web portal as well.
  5. How long does it take to refresh in Desktop?

Regards,

Ruslan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.