Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nirrobi
Helper V
Helper V

View pdf file in power bi desktop / service

Hi all,

I am trying to view / preview pdf file in the PBI desktop / service.

Till now I only succeed to open the pdf file (locate in my one drive business) in the web browser.

I made a table with URL of the file destenation - as describe in the following link.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-hyperlinks-in-tables/

Is it possible to view the PDF file in the PBI itself and not in other app (web browser)?

I tried to use custom visual StrippetsBrowser but not succeed 😞

https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/StrippetBrowser16424341054522

Thanks in advanced,

Nir.

9 REPLIES 9
lkbansal1993
Regular Visitor

can you suggest how to open pdf file in the iframe...actually images are loaded easy but pdf not loaded. so please help me 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nirrobi,

The StrippetsBrowser visual is not suitable to view PDF file. In your scenario, I am afraid that you need to open the pdf file in the web browser via clicking the Hyperlinks in Power BI tables. Or you can consider to create your own custom visual.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia Zhang, we have not managed to visualize a PDF from a table as you mentioned in the post. Can you help us?

Any tutorial that can help me?

@ravelezpI guess you have a field in a table which has path to the pdf file, if yes, select this field , go to modelling table and under data categorization, set it to web url. Now you will see this filed will become url in a table and on click of it will open the file.

I hope it answered you question. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

It´s perfect. Tank´s

Still no ways to preview PDF files in Power Bi based on a link (Not download and open a file) but an actual preview.. tons of em for images but not for PDFs...?

Yes, that's what I found! Thank you and this earring of some new!

Hello Lydia Zhang, I have not managed to open a hyperlink from a Power Bi table to see the PDF, can you explain how to do it? 

Hello Lydia Zhang, I have not managed to open a hyperlink from a Power Bi table to see the PDF, can you explain how to do it? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.