Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tas
Advocate I
Advocate I

Using a Service Dataset as datasource in Power BI Desktop

Since Power BI desktop is limited to a single report for the data source, and there are limits on how many pages in a report you can have if you want to use say publish to power point, is there anyway to have another PBIX file that can be used to author addtional reports, but use the same already published DataSet (with all its already setup measures etc)?

I know about templates, but the doesn't re-use the same model, it make a copy of the model, so if there are measure changes etc, you have to make them in multiple places.

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Tas,

If you are importing data to Power BI and not using Direct Query, you can have many different data sources for the 1 PBIX file.

I haven't tested to see how many pages you are allowed but if you have more than 12, it will quickly be an issue for scrolling (which you can partially solve through URL parameters).

You can also change the properties of a single page to make it really really long and really really wide (if need)

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @Phil_Seamark,

I may not have explained what I need very well. It is kind of the opposite of what you suggest.  I want to have multiple PBIX file all pointing to the one data source, being one already created and published to the service with imported data from SQL.  Now ideally I would do all this in the one PBIX, but you can only have one report, and if you have more than 15 pages, export to PowerPoint won't work, and as you say scrolling becomes a pain.

I know SSAS on prem is one option, but we spent ages previously doing this and found the performance dismal.  With the model in the service, performance us much better, but I would like to only have the one model, and a number of different reports using it.

I know I can create the reports directly in the service, but then they don't respond well to model changes, they just fail if they depend on a measure that has changed name, whereas reports in the PBIX file see changes to the model and adapt.  I also understand that if we were able to use more than one PBIX file pointing to the same model the second and subsequent ones would not adjust to changes in the model, but at least we could divide up the reports and publish them with some form of version control. 

All said, I am looking at ways to improve the development life cycle of Power BI based reporting, but am struggling to setup something that is not fragile or overly painful to manage.

@Tas I've recently been looking for the same functionality you are after.  I have not found it yet.  I found this idea

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7679961-download-reports-to-a-pbi... that says complete but a lot of customer feedback about what is desired.  Some of the comments aline with what we desire.

Regards,

Brian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.