Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bicg

User Not Authorized Connecting Power BI Desktop to Hosted Analysis Services Cube in Another Domain

We are attempting to connect Power BI Desktop to explore data residing in a Hosted Tabular Analysis Services Cube that is installed on an Azure VM in another Domain.    The connection string is xxxx.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com:2381.  No gateways are installed yet as we are just doing initial data discovery on the source.

There is no domain connecting the workstation running Power BI Desktop and the Hosted Azure Analysis Services VM however the same connection string works in Excel.

When using Import we get the error "user was not authorized".

AS_Import.PBIDesktop.PNG

When using Live we get the error "connection timeout or server name is incorrect".

AS_Live.PBIDesktop.PNG

11 REPLIES 11
Nick3

Hi,

Does anyone has got solution to it.

Regards,

Nick

Nick3

Hi,

Does anyone has got the solution to this.

Regards

bhassen

Hi 

I have  the same issue with 2 VM on 2 different domains. One VM hosts SSAS Tabular, the 2nd one hosts Power BI Desktop.

Any solutions or workaround please?

Ths

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

i am having the same issue and I suspect its a firewall issue on the port 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg I don't think it's a firewall issue. I'm able to connect to the Cube using Excel eventhough Excel cannot access the domain where the Cube is hosted. We are using a site-to-site vpn. I suspect it's the way Power BI Desktop behaves when connecting to Analysis Services hosted in other domains, it somehow likes to authenticate the user remotely instead of passing the credentials to the server to do the job and Excel does this nicely and it works from Excel. What do you think?

@vanessafvg I found a workaround which actually does work. I've tried it just now. Use the following command and it does the trick.

runas /netonly /user:<domain>\<username> <path to PBID executable>

Let me know if it works for you. 

nope that doesn't work, i had tried that already.  We use this in our environments too with different applications, however does not work with Power BI

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg Can you please provide more details like how's the setup (is it site-to-site vpn, etc.), where the destination analysis services is present (same domain, other domain), are you able to connect to the cube via Excel.

In my scenario, I could connect to the Cube from Excel but Power BI Desktop was unable to connect.

santoshveluguri
Frequent Visitor

We are having the same issue. Did you find a solution. I would really appreciate if you can share the solution. Cheers!

@bicg Can you please let me know how you solved this problem. Appreciate your time.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@bicg

I think you can take a look at this thread which should be helpful.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.