Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upload .pbix file to Power BI Report Server

Hi,

I have created a dashboard using .xls file and wanted to upload it from Power BI Report Server. But when I try to upload it shows error message "Something went wrong, pls try again".

Does Report server only supports live connection dashboards?

Thanks,

Thimma

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

As described in this article: Connecting to data sources

"Currently, the only data source supported for Power BI reports are a live connection to Analysis Services (tabular or multidimensional). More data sources will be added in future releases." The same as directly upload a .pbix file to report server.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous upload it to the power.com site or download it from? i.e are you trying to publish

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Vane, I am trying upload it from Power BI Report Server to check how on promise report server works?

Thanks,

Thimma

@Anonymous so you you using the on premise report server and you have created a power bi file and now you are trying to publish to it via the power bi desktop?

are you using the correct version of power bi desktop?  there is one for report server and one for powerbi.com

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Power BI desktop and created dashboard. I do have Power Report Server and when I click Upload button from Report server it will ask me to select the files which you want to upload. And its working well for .xls file, but not .pbix file.

Thanks,

Thimma

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.