Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating tables directly in Power BI

Just curious...is there a way in Power BI to make changes to the content of tables (directy in Power) that were pulled in from Excel databases.  It would be nice if I could update or correct an Excel linked table in Power BI versus having to open up the Excel spreadsheet, make the change, refresh and then republish.  Can this be done or perhaps an option down the road?

8 REPLIES 8
DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

This is not possible. Imho this makes sense as an update of the underlying Excel table would override the manually edited values in Power BI desktop again.

It is possible though to manually copy your data from your Excel spreadsheet and paste it into an in-app table in Power BI Desktop.

Hope this helps

JJ

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, 

How can you paste the excel data directly into PBI? I haven't been able to figure that out. I have a table imported from excel, and I'd like to paste updated data over the current data. Thanks!

Hey @Anonymous

Yes, it is possible that you can push data directly to powerbi dataset but you need to create your dataset using PowerBI Rest API or create Strearming dataset, once it is create thru Rest API or Strearming, you can use microsoft flow to push data to dataset.

Basically the answer to you question is that it is possible but there is work involved in it.

Let me know if you are interested to know more about this.

Cheers,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes...I am defiantely interested in learning how!  I would use this option quite a bit.

No problem, here are some interesting links to get started.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt147898.aspx

here is the link which talked about how to insert data using microsoft flow and rest api

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Inserting-data-into-a-PowerBI-Dataset-via-Flow-and-t...

Good luck and if you need more help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Parv

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

One quick think, your question belongs to developer forum thou, just for reference

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/bd-p/Developer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks...I did not know.

@Anonymous

Power BI is a reporting tool. Even using Streaming Dataset, it is just rendering live data directly. You still can't update table within Power BI and sync your changes back to your data source. You can only update the data in your source table.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.