Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amshukla
Frequent Visitor

Unable to merge or join tables based on condition

I have Student table such as:

Student

Marks

A

B

C

D

I have another table such as Result:

Min_marks

Max_marks

Result

Fail

Average

Good

Excellent

How to merge or Join above two tables to get output as below table(there should be relation between them):

Student

Marks

Result

A

Average

B

Fail

C

Excellent

D

Good

This can be done easily in qlikveiw using IntervalMatch() function but not sure how to do it PowerBI.

Regards,

Amit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @amshukla,

you added the column to the wrong table. The formula I gave you was intended to be used in the student table (many) to lookup values from the Result-table (one). You then expand that newly generated column and select the columns from the lookup-table that you need.

What you did was to re-write the formula so it would look up many values from the student table to one row of your lookup-table.

That is  unusual and would make your lookup-table unusable for any further use (as lookup table).

You can make it work by just omitting the last {0} like so:

Table.SelectRows(Student, (Student) => Student[Marks]>=[Min_marks] and Student[Marks]<=[Max_marks])[Student]

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@amshukla

You can also try to use following DAX forumual to create a calculated column.

Column = 
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( Result[Result] ),
    FILTER (
        Result,
        Student[Marks] >= Result[Min_marks]
            && Student[Marks] <= Result[Max_marks]
    )
)

Unable to merge or join tables based on condition_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

@v-haibl-msft Thanks for help, but i am looking for Power Query solution on this.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

If you add a column to table "Student" with the following formula it should work:

Table.SelectRows(Result, (Result) => Result[Min_marks]<=[Marks] and Result[Max_marks] >= [Marks])[Result]{0}

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @ImkeF,

Thanks for the response.

I wanted to create a new column in Result table using your formula i.e

Table.SelectRows(Student, (Student) => Student[Marks]>=[Min_marks] and Student[Marks]<=[Max_marks])[Student]{0}

and it is working but when I added new rows & column in student table(refer below table) it is not giving the desired output.

Student Table:

StudentMarksAddress
A35q
B25p
C95r
D65s
E10t
F45v

and the output which i am getting is:

Output:

Min_marksMax_marksResultCustom
030FailB
3150AverageA
5175GoodD
76100ExcellentC

Desired Output is :

Min_marksMax_marksResultStudentAddress
030FailBp
3150AverageAq
5175GoodDs
76100ExcellentCr
030FailEt
3150AverageFv

Please let me know where I am missing

Regards,

Amit

Hi @amshukla,

you added the column to the wrong table. The formula I gave you was intended to be used in the student table (many) to lookup values from the Result-table (one). You then expand that newly generated column and select the columns from the lookup-table that you need.

What you did was to re-write the formula so it would look up many values from the student table to one row of your lookup-table.

That is  unusual and would make your lookup-table unusable for any further use (as lookup table).

You can make it work by just omitting the last {0} like so:

Table.SelectRows(Student, (Student) => Student[Marks]>=[Min_marks] and Student[Marks]<=[Max_marks])[Student]

@ImkeF, as I understnad it is recommended to go for "student table (many) to lookup values from the Result-table (one)".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors