Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

S_M
Helper III
Helper III

Unable to create relationships between tables

I am pulling a customer table which is basically a sales table with all columns, except customer email, removed. I then 'remove duplicates' on the customer email column in Editor, essentially giving me a distinct list of all customer emails that have made a purchase with us. However, when i try to create a relationship between this column and 'customer email' in the sales table, i get an error stating that one of the 2 columns being related must be without duplicates - as i already do a distinct on the customer table, this should not happen.

Does anyone know if using a 'remove duplicates' is the reason this issue occurs and if there is a work around ?

Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6
kaushikd
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @S_M

Could you please explain the scenario with example :-

Dataset 1

id   xyz   abc

1    a      b

Dataset 2

id   xyz   abc

1    a      b

Relationship between Dataset 1 and Dataset 2 

and in which step you are facing challenge.

Hi @kaushikd,

To break it down : I have a sales table (Table1):

order_number  customer_email

1                       abc@xyz.com  

2                       def@xyz.com

3                       ghi@xyz.com

4                       def@xyz.com

I use Table1 to create a new customers table (Table2) which only has the row 'customer_email', removing duplicates, so essentially it looks like this : 

Table2:

customer_email

abc@xyz.com

def@xyz.com

ghi@xyz.com

I am now trying to relate Table2 to Table1 using 'customer_email' as primary key, however it doesnt allow me to create a relationship by saying that both tables do not contain distinct values. So i am stumped at why this would happen and how to go about it 

@S_M

Hi I have taken the same data as you have provided:-

and tried the following followed the steps:-

1. Imported the Table1

order_number  customer_email

1                       abc@xyz.com  

2                       def@xyz.com

3                       ghi@xyz.com

4                       def@xyz.com

from excel file

2. Go to Edit Query--> Right Click on Table1-->Select Duplicate-->Renamed the new Table as Table2

3. For Table2-->Right Click on order_number Column and Remove.-->Right Click on customer_email Column and Remove Duplicates.

4. Close and Apply.

5.Go to Relationship 

you will find power bi will automatically do a join for both the table or else please do it by your own.

Capture.PNG

If this help you out please accept this as a solution thanks

@kaushikd, unfortunately this is similar to what ive done and i face the problem above, which is that i am unable to entirely remove duplicates.

@ovetteabejuela, good idea! I actually did that and found one sneaky duplicate that is somehow not being detected by PowerQuery when removing duplicates. On excel, these duplicates get highlighted, however i ran some trim / length functions to understand why it is not being detected as a duplicate, but they are exactly alike. Any idea how i can remove these on editor ? 

Hi @S_M,

Maybe you could try to remove dupplicate in Query editor by using Power Query. Here is a similar thread for you reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Remove-or-Hide-Duplicate-Values/td-p/10409

Untitled.png

Table.Distinct
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt260775.aspx

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I would also try to do a little validation.

You can export the table to excel and do a Remove Duplicates there and see if it did find duplicates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.