Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Thib
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to SSAS Live mode

Hi,

When i choose to live connect to SSAS Tabular, i have this message :

"Sorry, the server you're trying to connect to doesn't have any tabular models."

but if i choose to import data with the same connection, that works.

Help me please.

15 REPLIES 15
kennyduffy

Make sure your model also has a use setup as a role on it.

Hi

Im am getting the same problem - with no solution so far.

I have a Multidimensional Cube that does not connect via AS.

Quick questions;

If I follwed this thread correctly, then only Tablular Models will work this way, right?

I am planning to use Power BI, on-premise only.

Is this (Tabular Data Models via ) the only wat i can acces and publish data to PowerBI Desktop / Server? 

Kind Regards

meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Import works for both Multidimensional model as well as tabular model. Explore live is currently suppored only in tabular models. So check to see if you have Multidimensional or Tabular.

To connect from the Power BI desktop, you don't need to install th AS connector. But if you are going to publish this report to the Power BI service, then you need AS Connector.

Thib
Frequent Visitor

I'm sure i use a tabular model, i use Power bi Desktop, my database is SQL Server 2012, i have all permission all works on my computer but not the live connection in power bi Desktop.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Are you trying to connect to a Tabular or a Multidimensional instance of Analysis Services?  I believe only Tabular instance is supported for direct connect from Desktop.

Thib
Frequent Visitor

Tabular guy, i spent many times to move my multidimensinal to tabular for Powerbi and now know what model i want to connect.

What is the error that you are getting?. One other thing to check is if you have other datasources connected in the file. So to be sure, Click File->New and then go to get data and connect to AS.

Thib
Frequent Visitor

The error is in my first post, i just open power bi Desktop, add new Tabular connexion, with 2 choices the first : Live connexion : error, and import data : ok 

Sans titre.png

jbocachica
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, the user that you're using to connect from the portal has permissions on the cubes?, SSAS tabular use windows integrated authentication.

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co

Hi,

Thanks for answer, but i'm not on the portal, i'm using PowerBI Desktop on my computer and i have all permissions on the Tabular database.

That works when i choose import data from the tabular database but when i choose live connection i have the message.

Regards

JenUnderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Review the following docs:

Configure an SSAS connector

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471577-configure-a-power-bi-analysis-services-con...

and

Troubleshoot a SSAS connector

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/505324-troubleshooting-analysis-service-connector

Jen Underwood
Principal Program Manager, BI

Sorry but i don't understand, i need the SSAS connector to connect live with Powerbi Desktop ?

regards

Thib,

Follow Jen's post. You need to set up the AS Connector on the tabular model instance. In order to connect "live" from any of the Power BI tools, you need to have a "live" connector, ie. Install the Analysis Services Connector on your AS instance.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

No you do not need the connector to connect the desktop to a SSAS within your enviremont. Does your account have access to the Tabular models?

Thib
Frequent Visitor

hi,

Thanks i think kdejonge is right, we don't need connector with Powerbi desktop.

I use my computer with my account, i'm sql server admin and i can connect to tabular model from Excel, SSMS but not with PowerBI live connection i can just import data from the tabular model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.