Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mterry
Helper V
Helper V

Trouble with intellisense in measures

I have one particular report with only a few tables and I have been unable to create any measures because intellisense isn't bringing up any tables/fields and when I try to enter them manually I'm getting errors. I'm hoping this is something simple I'm overlooking. 

snip1.PNGsnip2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You are getting that particular error message because DIVIDE in a measure requires expressions as arguments, not column references.  So you need to do:  DIVIDE ( SUM ( Table[Column1] ), SUM ( Table[Column2] ) ) or similar.  Otherwise the function has no idea to which rows you are referring.  Which is why intellisense fails.  It is not allowed in that situation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mterry

From your image it appears that the measure is incomplete.

But with that being said, I would suggest uninstalling Power BI Desktop, and then re-installing it from the download if that is where you originally installed it and see if that resovles your error

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Correct I didn't bother typing out the entire measure, just enough to show nothing is coming up when I do type in the name of one of my tables. FWIW I do have a few other pbix files where I can create measures and the tables and fields come up as normal - does that change your advice to uninstall and reinstall power BI desktop?

Here's a little more detail: I have two tables, one that shows actuals amount spent and one that shows budget. I have a matrix with one column showing the actuals and one showing the budget - the rows represent the location. There are also dates (earliest) being used as additional columns - both the initial planned date and the actual date. I'm trying to calculate the percentage of budget we're currently at - dividing the actuals by the original budget. Intellisense isn't bringing up the fields, when I type out the entire measure as shown below, I get the associated error. I don't fully understand the error as the 'Actuals' are in fact being summed. Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

You are getting that particular error message because DIVIDE in a measure requires expressions as arguments, not column references.  So you need to do:  DIVIDE ( SUM ( Table[Column1] ), SUM ( Table[Column2] ) ) or similar.  Otherwise the function has no idea to which rows you are referring.  Which is why intellisense fails.  It is not allowed in that situation.

Thanks for explaining, that fixed it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.