Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Aravind
Frequent Visitor

The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error.

Hi, I have a datamodel/dataset published on Power BI and I am trying to refresh them using "Refresh Now" option ( Data Source for the Dataset is SQL DataWarehouse). 2 t o3 times the "Refresh now" options works great and it refreshes my dataset, but I have noticed after sometimes the Refreshes are failing with below error mesage

Hide
On demand5/15/2016, 8:23:15 AM5/15/2016, 10:23:56 AMFailedThe last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error.

One think  I noticed is , I changed the resource class of the useraccount before refresh fails. So until I redploy my code - the refresh doesnt work.

Does this mean- when I do a change in resourceclass of my serviceaccount in SQL DW, It expects me to redeploy the pbix file today ? Or Am i missing something in the error message ? 

Another related question is , when I click on refresh - I see the dataset says its refreshing for a while and after sometime(5 to 10 minutes) - it fails with above message. Is there a way for me to find, what was happening during those 10 minutes ? Any error/log that I can view.

Thanks,

Aravind

5 REPLIES 5
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I had the same issue this past weekend. I simply re-installed the gateway and it is now working. It seems that my gateway was having issues.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@kcantorNo luck, I am working on Import Model and directly providing SQL DW details in Datasource- Gateway is not required 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Aravind,

In your scenairo, did the error occur suddenly or often? You can use Fiddler to monitor backend process during refresh. Please take a look at this article: Tools for troubleshooting refresh issues.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft Installed Fiddler and checked for any logs that helps.. but again no luck .. just gave some 404 kind of messages only.. I am thinking it might have failed due to 250MB limit on PBIX file . But not sure - how to conclude as I am not able to get any error message in "Refresh History" tab

Hi @Aravind,

In your scenario, to check if the issue is related to 250M limitation, you can deploy the report which contains less data, and change resource of the user account then click "Refresh Now" button to see if the same error occurs. Also, if you deploy the report with more than 250M to Power BI Service, if you havn't changed the resource for the user, does the issue occur when you click "Refresh Now"?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.