Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cynot
Regular Visitor

Text in a Matrix

Hello all,

I am trying to create a dashboard that displays some information in a matrix, but the problem I am having is that the value field I want to display is actually a string.  It is a code that is assoicated with various columns in the matrix, but it appears that powerBI only wants to let me place numerical values in a matrix.

If I try to enter a text field, it just tries to summarize by using "count of" fieldname.  Is there a way I can use text values in a matrix? Or perhaps another visual that will let me accomplish the equvilant?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes you can do this, but only when the string returns a single value. Write a measure something like this

=if(hasonevalue(table[column]),values(table[column]))

there is a new function called concatenatex that allows you to build a string of values on the fly in the instance that there is more than a single value returned. Just google the syntax. 

=if(hasonevalue(table[column]),values(table[column]),concatenatex(table,table[column],", "))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Yes you can do this, but only when the string returns a single value. Write a measure something like this

=if(hasonevalue(table[column]),values(table[column]))

there is a new function called concatenatex that allows you to build a string of values on the fly in the instance that there is more than a single value returned. Just google the syntax. 

=if(hasonevalue(table[column]),values(table[column]),concatenatex(table,table[column],", "))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

This is great help Matt. i have one more question- I am not able to find conditional formatting on the measure created using your formula. Is this feature not available yet? if there is workaround, please let me know.

Conditional formatting is available, but it is hard to find. It is located in the main layout section of the visual, not under formatting options. I think you click on the measure in the values section from memory. 

test.JPG

Hi Matt,

As you can see in the picture above, I am only able to find two options- 'Remove field' and 'Quick Calc' and not the conditional formatting option. For normal columns which were directly pulled from excel, I was able to see conditional formatting option.

I guess you don't have the latest version of Power BI Desktop.  I just checked and it is definitely there

@MattAllington I think conditional formatting only works on measures that return numerical values. I have a matrix with 2 measures, one that returns a whole number and another that returns text. Conditional formatting is only available on the number.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

How can we add new line charatcers in a visualisation, specifically a matrix or table.  It seems you can't do it.  This concatenex is almost there n terms of concatenating text values into a measure, but I want to put each component piece of text on a new line, not just separate with a delimter.  It looks like even if you have a new line character in your source data and just display in a table the new line characters are removed and it all goes on a single line.

@AntJBwere you able to solve this? I have same problem. Dont want the text to be in same line. 

@RichaGCSI believe the new matrix preview visual now has word wrap on values. Get the most recent desktop release and activate the feature in the preview options.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

How do we add a new line character as a delimter so each component text value is on a new line.  It seems like even if the data source itself has new lines / carriage returns the matrix & table visualisations (in fact any visualisation) ignores new lines and puts everything on a single line

Thanks

Anthony

How do we add a new line character as a delimter so each component text value is on a new line.  It seems like even if the data source itself has new lines / carriage returns the matrix & table visualisations (in fact any visualisation) ignores new lines and puts everything on a single line

Thanks

Anthony

Sorry for the delayed response, I got pulled away on other projects and just got to test this out today.  Thank you!

That worked like a charm.  My only other question would be (and I think the answer is no but I'm being picky), is there any way I can add columns after the pivoted column in a matrix?

In other words if my "columns" value that is being pivoted is product code, and I want the matrix to look comething like:

Order | Customer | Product Codes ... | ... | ...| Due Date | Etc |

Is that possible?

Thanks again!

This can be done easily in Excel with Fields, Items and Sets, but I don't believe it can be done today in Power BI.  There are some table updates coming shortly (improved visuals) so let's see if there is any change then.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.