Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ang0
Frequent Visitor

Testing Security using PowerBI

Hi,

The architecture we are using is Microsoft Power BI on SSAS and I am trying to establish that the security implemented in SSAS works correctly in Power BI.

I have a test account set up and am trying to use that to mimick what my users will see.

I create an InPrivate Window in IE and login to the test account. As soon as I get directed to my organisations sign-on page the systems realises some how that its me and applies my own security profile instead of that assigned to the test user. Is there a way to simulate logging on as the test user without logging on to my laptop with that account?

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ang0
Frequent Visitor

I think I've logged this in the wrong forum but I've found an easier work around - use the "map user names" facility on the datasource.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ang0,

I create an InPrivate Window in IE and login to the test account. As soon as I get directed to my organisations sign-on page the systems realises some how that its me and applies my own security profile instead of that assigned to the test user.

What do you mean about "As soon as I get directed to my organisations sign-on page the systems realises some how that its me and applies my own security profile instead of that assigned to the test user"? Could you be more precisely with this? It's better to post some screen short?Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks for looking into this.

I'm sorry - I don't actuall see how to post screens shots. I can see that I can post a photo or video but not an image.

I'll try again with words...

I log on to Office 365 as test@..... .

IE displays the message "Redirecting. We're taking you to your organisations sign-in page.

After a few seconds the screen refreshes and says "Good Morning Ang."

Thats the problem... I don't want the Power BI to know that I'm Ang. I want it to think that I'm test.

My work around has been to keep loging off my PC and logging on as test which has been painful.

Thanks

Ang

Ang0
Frequent Visitor

I think I've logged this in the wrong forum but I've found an easier work around - use the "map user names" facility on the datasource.

Hi @Ang0,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply as solution to help others who has similar issue easily find the answer and close this thread?Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.