Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mhous

Supplier Quality Analysis Sample - Broken Bing Maps Integration

This issue seemed to surface a few weeks ago.  The PowerBI sample of "Supplier Quality Analysis" has an pre-baked dashboard with a Bing Maps visualization.  The visualization used to work and show dots on the map, but no longer does.  Any Q&A query on that sample also does not yield anything on the Bing Maps visualizations, in spite of there being data to display.

I have deleted and reinstantiated the sample on multiple accounts and multiple machines, to no affect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@mhous

The Bing Maps team is forcing a two-fold change for Power BI; they are deprecated the Bing Maps v8 Control, and are also switching to a new geocoder. Please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-feature-summary/#maps.

To take full advantage of this, you'll need to set the Data Category for each column correctly. If you are using comma separated strings as a workaround to the earlier geocoder limitations, you should change to use a hierarchy. For example, create a column called "Country", set data category to Country / Region, and add it above the State and City in the hierarchy. Then Drill Down via Hierarchy Drill (fork icon).

Users with comma separated concatenated values may see breaks, changing Data Category of this column to Place should work, and it is actually be design.

For the sample you mentioned above, I've sent mail to related team to correct it later.

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@mhous

The Bing Maps team is forcing a two-fold change for Power BI; they are deprecated the Bing Maps v8 Control, and are also switching to a new geocoder. Please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-feature-summary/#maps.

To take full advantage of this, you'll need to set the Data Category for each column correctly. If you are using comma separated strings as a workaround to the earlier geocoder limitations, you should change to use a hierarchy. For example, create a column called "Country", set data category to Country / Region, and add it above the State and City in the hierarchy. Then Drill Down via Hierarchy Drill (fork icon).

Users with comma separated concatenated values may see breaks, changing Data Category of this column to Place should work, and it is actually be design.

For the sample you mentioned above, I've sent mail to related team to correct it later.

Best Regards,
Herbert

The Bing Maps V8 control is not being deprecated, it is the main production map control. Bing Maps V7 is deprecated.

mhous

I was able to dive into this a bit more by downloading the sample PBIX.  After looking at the data model for Plant, I saw that the Data Category was set to City.  Changing the Data Category to Place enabled the map visualizations to work.

The question remains: what is the difference between City and Place, and what is broken with City that no longer works with Bing Maps?

Also, the issue should be fixed with the sample so that others don't run into this same problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.