Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaulPed

Sum of rows with Unique ID

Hi there,

I have a data set which portrays line item detail of sales by invoice. There are multiple rows to each invoice (Unique ID) for the varying items sold. I want to SUM all of the rows pertaining to each invoice in order to ascertain the average sale per invoice. I also still need the data to remain in the rowed format in order to support existing dashboards.

Thanks,

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@PaulPed,

Hi Paul,

For the average, you could try this formula as a measure and put it in a Card visual.

Average Sales per Invoice =
DIVIDE ( SUM ( 'sales'[amount] ), DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'sales'[ID] ), 0 )

No changes are applied to the data set. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

I’m not looking for the average.

I have a data export of all my sales data which is by line item and there are multiple rows associated with the same invoice number. Below is an example:

Sales Item Id

Sales Qty

Unit Price

Invoice Id

Invoice Date

Month

Sales Amt

Sales Invoice Total

CTG970B

SCI034545

7/6/16

Jul-16

$            57.62

CTG971C

SCI034545

7/6/16

Jul-16

$            54.42

CTG971M

SCI034545

7/6/16

Jul-16

$            54.42

CTG971Y

SCI034545

7/6/16

Jul-16

$            54.42

As you can see I have a Sales Invoice Total column which is summing up the line items as part of the ERP, however, I can’t use this to ascertain a true average per invoice. I either want to isolate a single Total per Unique Invoice ID or alternatively SUM up the Sales Amt column of each line item to portray a total for that invoice.

Thanks,

Paul

@AlbertoFerrari,

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the best practice. It will be very helpful.

@PaulPed

Hi Paul,

I wonder if you want a true total of each invoice. If so, you can try this formula.

TotalOfEachInvoice =
SUM ( Sales[Sales Amt] )

Or, you can try [Avg Invoice] from @AlbertoFerrariSum of rows with Unique ID .jpg

If you get the right answer, please mark it as solution.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Something like this might work:

Avg Invoice = 
AVERAGEX ( 
    ADDCOLUMNS ( 
        SUMMARIZE ( 
            Sales,
            Sales[Invoice ID]
        ),
        "Amt", CALCULATE ( SUM ( Sales[Sales Amt] ) )
    ),
    [Amt]
)

With that said, it would be better (and faster) if you create an Invoice table with the precomputed total and create the proper set of relationships. Having the total denormalized in the line detail table is a bad practice because many attributes (date, month and so on) are pertinent to the invoice, not to the single date and the same calculation, with an invoice table, would be a much simpler AVERAGE.

I usually teach that when DAX becomes complex, it is because the model need to be optimized... on a well designed model the DAX code is nearly always very simple (Ok, enough for my pedantic moment :))

Have fun with DAX!

Alberto Ferrari
http://www.sqlbi.com

Alberto Ferrari - SQLBI
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can either put your Invoice ID and the sum of the value in a table visualization or use SUMMARIZE and group by your Invoice ID.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.