Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ihartdata
Employee
Employee

Sum Business Days between two dates with Issues

Hi,

I found this community super helpful with my last post where I was trying to count the days between two dates, then I realized what I really needed was to count the business days between two dates.

I need to count the number of business days between Table 'Contacts'[Request In DATE] and 'Contacts'[Invite Out DATE].  I have a related Table 'Calendar Table' that has column [Date] and [Is Business Day] that represents business days as 1 and non-business days as 0.  The only issue is that in Table 'Contacts' there are Blanks in the [Invite Out DATE] and [Request In DATE] as well as some scenarios where the [Request In DATE] is AFTER the [Invite Out DATE].

In order to count the days between these dates I used the following DAX and it works great! Now I just need to add in some type of filter to ONLY count the days that are Business Days:

Days to Enroll = IF(OR(ISBLANK('Contacts'[Request In Date]),ISBLANK('Contacts'[Invite Out Date])),3,IF(OR('Contacts'[Invite Out Date]<'Contacts'[Request In Date],'Contacts'[Request In Date]>'Contacts'[Invite Out Date]),-1*DATEDIFF('Contacts'[Invite Out Date],'Contacts'[Request In Date],DAY),DATEDIFF('Contacts'[Request In Date],'Contacts'[Invite Out Date],DAY)))

Below is a quick image of sample data. How can I do this?

business days to invite.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@ihartdata

Since I don’t have the entire calendar which contains IsBusinessDay flag. I have created a short part of this calendar as from 07/03/2014 to 07/20/2014.

Then to achieve your requirement, first you should create a relation between Table 'Contacts' and Calendar table.

111.PNG

Then try following DAX:

Column = IF(OR(ISBLANK('Contacts'[Request In Date]),ISBLANK('Contacts'[Invite Out Date])),
            IF(OR
                ('Contacts'[Invite Out Date] < 'Contacts'[Request In Date],'Contacts'[Request In Date] > 'Contacts'[Invite Out Date]),
            -1 *CALCULATE(COUNT('Calendar'[IsBusinessDay]),FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Date] < Contacts[Request In DATE] && 'Calendar'[Date]>=Contacts[Invite Out DATE] && 'Calendar'[IsBusinessDay] = 1)),
            CALCULATE(COUNT('Calendar'[IsBusinessDay]),FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Date] >= Contacts[Request In DATE] && 'Calendar'[Date]<Contacts[Invite Out DATE] && 'Calendar'[IsBusinessDay] = 1))))

222.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@ihartdata

Since I don’t have the entire calendar which contains IsBusinessDay flag. I have created a short part of this calendar as from 07/03/2014 to 07/20/2014.

Then to achieve your requirement, first you should create a relation between Table 'Contacts' and Calendar table.

111.PNG

Then try following DAX:

Column = IF(OR(ISBLANK('Contacts'[Request In Date]),ISBLANK('Contacts'[Invite Out Date])),
            IF(OR
                ('Contacts'[Invite Out Date] < 'Contacts'[Request In Date],'Contacts'[Request In Date] > 'Contacts'[Invite Out Date]),
            -1 *CALCULATE(COUNT('Calendar'[IsBusinessDay]),FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Date] < Contacts[Request In DATE] && 'Calendar'[Date]>=Contacts[Invite Out DATE] && 'Calendar'[IsBusinessDay] = 1)),
            CALCULATE(COUNT('Calendar'[IsBusinessDay]),FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Date] >= Contacts[Request In DATE] && 'Calendar'[Date]<Contacts[Invite Out DATE] && 'Calendar'[IsBusinessDay] = 1))))

222.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Thank you Xi!!  This worked and I learned so much reading this DAX.  I appreciate your time. Yay!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.