Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Suggestion on DAX - Financial Data

@JeffDuzak - I saw your previous post for something similar to this...

I am working with a flat file that has gross sales totals by representative and product.  I am trying to take this gross sale amount and "calculate" a split which will identify a distribution amount.  For instance:

Mary has sold $50,000 of apples.  90% of the sale goes to the company ($45,000) and 10% goes to Mary ($5,000).

• i.e. When apples distribute 90% of the gross sale to company, and 10% to sales representative.

John has sold $20,000 of grapes.  60% of the sale goes to the company ($12,000) and 40% goes to John ($8,000).

• i.e. When grapes distribute 60% of the sale to the company and 10% to the sales representative.

What is the best way to calculate the "percentage-splits" by product so that the calculation in dollars for both the company and representative can be incorporated into the dashboard (for multiple products)?  Additionally, the solution will account for instances where a person sells multuple products that allows for the proper split by product to be summed.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@irnm8dn

Ok, Something like this?

img.png

Table View in Data Tab

Table.png

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@irnm8dn,

It seems that you just need to use IF Function or SWITCH Function to add calculated columns. It would be better if you can provide some sample data and show us the expected result.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft

I captured a layout in Excel to better illustrate the example.  (Though I don't have the skill to do the calcs.)  The highlighted areas are the area in which I want Power BI to ultimately calculate or sum.

For example the transaction on 1/1/2017 would show $280 "Split to Company" and $120 "Split to Representative".  These would be calculations based on the rate card on right side of this table which shows how the "Gross Sold" should be distributed.  

i.e. When Bananas multiple gross sold by 70% for "Split to Company" and 30% for "Split to Representative".

Secondarily, I would be able to use the Company and/or Representative as an aggregation to sum the distribution in total to company and the individual representative.

I have also included a link to the .xlsx file: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlf6sonpslp6h49/Example%20Produce%20Revenue%20Split.xlsx?dl=0

Example.PNG

If you could provide some detailed instruction and/or .pbix example that would be great as I am not very familir with IF expressions or Switch functions yet.

Much appreciated.

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@irnm8dn

Hi, happy to help you.

My solution will be:

1. Related both Tables

2. Create 2 calculated columns in Transactions Table

To Company = RELATED(Distribution[To Company])*Transactions[ Gross Sold ]

ToSalesRep = RELATED(Distribution[To Representative])*Transactions[ Gross Sold ]

3. Use some Visuals like this:

Visuals.png

or

Visuals 2.png

Let me knoe if you need more help to adjust this in your scenario.

Victor

Lima - Peru

Lima - Peru

Thanks @Vvelarde

The visuals included are one aspect of what I am trying to accmplish.  

What I don't see the percentage calculations specific to the product.  Examples bulleted below.

Mary has sold $50,000 of apples.  90% of the sale goes to the company ($45,000) and 10% goes to Mary ($5,000).

• i.e. When apples distribute 90% of the gross sale to company, and 10% to sales representative.

John has sold $20,000 of grapes.  60% of the sale goes to the company ($12,000) and 40% goes to John ($8,000).

• i.e. When grapes distribute 60% of the sale to the company and 10% to the sales representative.

The end goal will be to see the split at the transaction level, and sum as you have illustrated in your post.

Thanks again.  Always appreciative of your help.

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@irnm8dn

Ok, Something like this?

img.png

Table View in Data Tab

Table.png

Lima - Peru

Bingo!  I think the only thing I am failing to understand is how the calculation is working in your ToCompany and ToSalesRep columns.

Can you share the .pbix file so I can see the relationship created between the tables and the complete DAX statement?

Thanks.

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@irnm8dn

This is the PBIX Test File

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B95C8CKdTZE3SVJqUEIyU2ttSzA/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if need more help

Victor

Lima - Peru

Lima - Peru

Thanks.  Worked just as I had hoped.

Very much appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.