Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange (or not?) Behaviour of a dropdown slicer - how to fix this?

Hi,

i'm finally working regularly with Power BI and i love the product, though i'm finding some behaviours (logic or not) that i would like to know how to fix or know the best practice.

At the moment i don't have access to the underlying SSAS tabular model, and i'm working with a dimensionX that has 5 attribute levels:

level1 - with attributes "1. Red" "2. White", "3. Green", "4. Blue" ... 

level2 - with attributes "1.1. Redxxx" "1.2. Redxxx "2. 1 Whitexxxx", "3.1 Greenxxx" .. .

level3 - with attributes "1.1.1 Redxxxxxx" "1.1.2. Redxxxxxxx" , "3.1.1 Greenxxxxxx", ... 

level4 with attributes "1.1.1.1 Redxxxxxxxxx" "1.1.2. Redxxxxxxxxx" , "3.1.1.1 Greenxxxxxxxxx", ... 

level5 with attributes "1.1.1.1.1 Redxxxxxxxxx"  , "3.1.1.1.1 Greenxxxxxxxxxxx", ... 

as you can see this hierarchy is not leveled/balanced, and each level is placed in a dropdown slicer. I don't know the subjacent model. The client asked us to place a filter (page filter) in each slicer, so in level 1 there's a filter to appear only "1. Red" "2. White", "3. Green", "4. Blue", and so on. to avoid having all the hierarchy in all the slicers...

What happens is that if i select all attributes in level1, the following levels appear with all atrributes - which is ok

in level two, if i select 1.1 and 1.2, i can see 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 in level 3 

if i select 1.1.1.1 in level 4, it will show  1.1.1.1.1 in level 5.

My problem arises mainly in the (final) level 5, because the leafs that exist in level 5 perform something like a "back filter" and so all the levels between 1 and 4 stay filtered to the attributes that have level5...

Please see the attached image

Regards

p1.png

8 REPLIES 8
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

To change this default behavior, use the Edit Interactions.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try, thanks!

@Anonymous,

Any progress, feel free to share with us.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i've tried changing the interactions.  For each level i've removed the interactions with the ones "before" (in the picture, level 5 with levels 1 to 4 without interaction).

As you can see the problem still exists. At the moment i don't know if the hierarchy structure is badly construted, or if i'm missing some property in Power BI. I would expect, to be clear, that each dropdown, for example "CFT nivel 1" would appear with 3. and 6. selected, and the rest of hiearchy at level 1 without being selected...

xxx.png

The other thing that happens is that even when unselecting all levels, they are filtered with the levels where level 5 exists (i've mentioned in the 1st post)

2017-12-18_13h32_03.png 

Am i missing something (some option)?

Is the hierarchy badly constructed (i've manually created filters for each level at page level filters, i think it would be much better if an attribute exists indicating the level 1,2,3,4,5 - eventually this solves the problem, because in that case i would only define that [page level] filter for Level 1 would be equal to 1, Level 2 for 2, etc etc)

Or must the user select the ALL 1st / 2nd / 3rd / ... levels before going to the others (this can't make sense...)

Regards

@Anonymous,

You need to set interaction for each other slicer. You could also use HierarchySlicer instead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
Im already performing tests with that visual, but for now im not autorized to replace the Visuals.
Ive already Set (removed) interactions with the previous filter, for each filter, the problems manta in.
I dont know if its the way the hierarchy was created, the filters ive placed (manually selection of values to show on each filter level) or the Slicer itself.

@Anonymous,

You also need to set interaction to None for slicers whose level great than n.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft, i've analyzed this a little further, this is a problem of "what it seems logic" versus "tabular construction" versus "PBI slicer function"..:

1) The option you mention doesn't change anything in this case, but thanks anyway. What happens is this: PBI doesn't allow a visual level filter on slicers (found several posts on the internet), so i need to create a page level filter. As i do this naturally, for example, only enabling 6.3.1.1 on level 4 (which in the previous PBIXs versions was the only filter that accepted values with 4 numbers x.y.z.w) it will perform something like a back filter to levels 3. 2. and 1.

2) this hierarchy is not balanced and though hierarchy levels end up from level 3 to 5, they are all reproduced till level 5 - this adds up to the confusion....

Ideally i should select, for example, 1. 2. and 5. from level1, on level 2 it would appear 1.x's 2.x's and 5.x's, then for example i would select 1.1 and 1.2, 5.3 and 5.4, and the filtering would keep for the rest of the slicers, and levels would endup without being forced till level 5.

Regards and Merry Christmas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.