Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sjones404

Strange Filter and Highlighting Interaction

I apologize if this is already a post, but as I'm new to PowerBI, I'm not even sure what to search for. If I have, for example, a line graph and a multi-row card on the same page, when I highlight the data on the graph by selecting the name in the Legend, the Multi-Row card then shows only the data also attached to this same name. Both the card and the graph have IDs with relationships to the same "ID reference table" that provides readable names for the IDs. Does anyone know what mechanic is causing this behaviour? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sjones404,

Power BI visuals are interacting with each other, if values used in visualization come from same table or related table. Selecting an item in a visual will effect on the display of another visual. In your scenario, since bothcard and the graph have IDs with relationships to the same "ID reference table", there existing an indirect relationship between these tables, so, the multi-row card and chart will affect each other.

By default all visuals in a report page are interactive with each other, however this interactivity can be controlled and modified via "Edit Interactions" icon. For more detailed description, please see:

Control the Interaction in Power BI Report

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sjones404,

Power BI visuals are interacting with each other, if values used in visualization come from same table or related table. Selecting an item in a visual will effect on the display of another visual. In your scenario, since bothcard and the graph have IDs with relationships to the same "ID reference table", there existing an indirect relationship between these tables, so, the multi-row card and chart will affect each other.

By default all visuals in a report page are interactive with each other, however this interactivity can be controlled and modified via "Edit Interactions" icon. For more detailed description, please see:

Control the Interaction in Power BI Report

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.