Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wskallmeyer
Advocate II
Advocate II

Stacked Column Visual: Merge multiple columns/values into 1

Hi,

I have a Stacked Column visual with 8 columns( 1 db column with 8 different values).  I would like merge 2 columns (or more) so that I would end up for 4 columns showing on my visual.  Each of the 2 columns would have their values added together.  I have tried to "Group" them together but all that does it make them the same color on the visual.  And they are still separate columns.  I would like their values to be calculated together and show as 1 column on the visual.  So I would end up with 4 columns.

For example, state 1 + state 2 would be a new column called "Initial Entry"

state 3 + state 4 would be a new column called "External Processing, Govt"

state 5 + state 6 would be a new column called "External Processing, Agency"

etc.

I feel like I have seen this done in a video but now can't find it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@wskallmeyer,

As you can see below I have made a chart based on the grouping, you need to add the grouping on the States and then add the count/sum based on the values of each state please check the print below.

Any additional question please tell me.

Untitled.png

Regards 

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @wskallmeyer,

Using Group works, however since you only have one colum that is calculation the several columns, and different attributes the colour is all the same, you must chose in the Visual option the Data Colors and then Show All, that will allowed you to make a different colour for each one.

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

MergeColumns.jpg

This is what I had in mind.  Take the 2 left columns and have them show as 1 column on the visual.  The total would then be ~44. Adding their values in the process.  And the same all the way across the chart.  Grouping only seems to make their colors the same.  That is not what I need.

Thanks!

@wskallmeyer,

As you can see below I have made a chart based on the grouping, you need to add the grouping on the States and then add the count/sum based on the values of each state please check the print below.

Any additional question please tell me.

Untitled.png

Regards 

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.