Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EricC
Frequent Visitor

Splitting Column Assistance

Hey Guys,

So I am running into a hiccup, I know how to do this in excel but am struggling how to do it in powerBI.

So I have a column in this format: USERNAME17 or USERNAME7, so I can't set the delimiter to be at the first 1, I would prefer to set the delimiter to be the first occurance of ANY number.  In excel I would use this formula: =LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-LEN(C2)) or I would just do a simple find and replace. I am struggling with removing the numbers from the USERNAME piece though in powerBI as I've just started diving into it.

Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about this?

Table.AddColumn(<Previous Step>, "Position to Split", each List.PositionOfAny([UsernameColumn], {"0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9"}, Occurrence.First), Int64.Type),

This should return the 0-based offset of where the first # shows up in the name.  Basically, it's looking in the UserNameColumn for any instance of those 10 numbers (formatted as text).

Then you can add the 2 columns using this [Position to Split] and Text.Start() and Text.End() to grab the right number of characters.  You'll probably need Text.Length() as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your column always starts with USERNAME, you can do this in Query Editor

Table previewTable preview

Here's the M code to generate these 2 columns:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCg12DfJz9HU1VIrVQeKZo3CNjJViYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Orignal Column" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Orignal Column", type text}}),
    #"Add Username Prefix" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Username Prefix", each "USERNAME", type text),
    #"Add Number after USERNAME" = Table.AddColumn(#"Add Username Prefix", "Number after USERNAME", each Number.From(Text.AfterDelimiter([Orignal Column], "USERNAME", 0)), Int64.Type)
in
    #"Add Number after USERNAME"

Pay no attention to the first 2 steps, those were just needed to generate the 3 row table with sample data.

The 2 steps you need are #"Add Username Prefix" and #"Add Number after USERNAME".

Hope this helps!

Okay, that does help I see where you are going with it. This is a very dumb question but the "USERNAME" is not limited to username it would be jbsmith, knjohnson then have a number following it such as knjohnson17 or jbsmith22.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What about this?

Table.AddColumn(<Previous Step>, "Position to Split", each List.PositionOfAny([UsernameColumn], {"0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9"}, Occurrence.First), Int64.Type),

This should return the 0-based offset of where the first # shows up in the name.  Basically, it's looking in the UserNameColumn for any instance of those 10 numbers (formatted as text).

Then you can add the 2 columns using this [Position to Split] and Text.Start() and Text.End() to grab the right number of characters.  You'll probably need Text.Length() as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.