Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karmptl701
Frequent Visitor

Select table accordingly for reports

question.PNGI want my slicer to be drop  down and want to see only selected reports from slicer.

For an example I want my slicer with drop down of dates and whenever the date is selected, I want to see whole report for that day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @karmptl701,

For your requirement, it impossible to achieve by slicer. Because when you use a slicer, all the values shown in the slicer come from one column in one table, and slicer used to filter the rows in same table. While you want to use the slicer value to filter different tables, which is irrelevant with the slicer feature.

As the @MFelix suggestted, you can combine all the tables to one by "Append" in Query Editor. But you need to recognise the AIR, GND,GND_TOTAL, INTL,USPS in different tables. 

In addition, could you please add a date column in your resource table, and get a table like the following structure.

1.PNG

Then you can use the custom slicer: HierarchySlicer, so that you can achieve the result as what you expected. When you click the date and dril down, you will get volumn field value.

1.PNGdrill downdrill down

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @karmptl701,

If I understand your question correctly you have several tables with information for several days, and you wish to have a slicer that grabs the date and selects the information accordingly. I believe that the best way you have to do this is to join all your tables into one, with a column with the report date, that way you would have a column to use as a slicer and also compare different dates if needed.

This must be done throug the query editor, don't know how you are getting your data but if needed please tell me and I can help you achieve that result.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix,

Thanks for the reply. Typically, I want one slicer which allows me to select only date which are same as table name and one field in the column 'Volume'. 

In the below image, The left side are the fields in the column 'Volume' in two different files. Only one field is different which is date. I want a slicer which allows me to select date from the drop down and show the column chart according.
The column chart in the image is for one table called 2017-07-29.

Thank you.

question.PNG

Hi @karmptl701,

For your requirement, it impossible to achieve by slicer. Because when you use a slicer, all the values shown in the slicer come from one column in one table, and slicer used to filter the rows in same table. While you want to use the slicer value to filter different tables, which is irrelevant with the slicer feature.

As the @MFelix suggestted, you can combine all the tables to one by "Append" in Query Editor. But you need to recognise the AIR, GND,GND_TOTAL, INTL,USPS in different tables. 

In addition, could you please add a date column in your resource table, and get a table like the following structure.

1.PNG

Then you can use the custom slicer: HierarchySlicer, so that you can achieve the result as what you expected. When you click the date and dril down, you will get volumn field value.

1.PNGdrill downdrill down

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @karmptl701,

I didn't make myself clear on my question. How are you getting the data to PBI? multiple excel files/tabs, several SQL tables, how are you make the upload of the data so that you got 4/5 tables with dates?

You sould only make one single table to make it work better.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Right now, I am getting it from my SQL Server. We have weekly basis HTMLs which we stored in database as binary objects. I am brining those HTMLs and saving each of them as a New Tables. Every week the date is change and the records too. All the records are numbers. And this is the way how I have to work with these.

Thank you.
Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.