Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

billzhang1123
Helper II
Helper II

Scheduled Refresh with Oracle database in Amazon AWS Unix server

I built a report in Power BI Desktop connecting to an Oracle instance hosted on Amazon AWS Unix server.

After I complete my development, I published it to the app.powerbi.com. All looking good there.

Question: is the data that I am viewing online just a snapshot of the data when I published the report to the Power BI Service?

if it's static, can I still use Power BI Personal Gateway? My Oracle instance is running on a Unix server. How can I install the perosnal gateway there?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mllopis
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Bill,

Yes, the dataset is a snapshot of the content of your PBIX file when you published.

You can configure refresh using the Personal Gateway. You'll need to install the gateway on a Windows machine and configure credentials, just like you did in the machine where you created the Power BI Desktop report. There's no support for installing the gateway on non-Windows platforms at this stage.

Regards,
M.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello  , how did you connect to Oracle on AWS in power BI. When i connect using Oracle it is very slow 2000 records in 5 minures. I tried using not knowing if its right - Amazon Redshift.

Can any one let me know if i am missing something.

mllopis
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Bill,

Yes, the dataset is a snapshot of the content of your PBIX file when you published.

You can configure refresh using the Personal Gateway. You'll need to install the gateway on a Windows machine and configure credentials, just like you did in the machine where you created the Power BI Desktop report. There's no support for installing the gateway on non-Windows platforms at this stage.

Regards,
M.

Hi,

I am a bit confused about what you wrote. I thought that when I refresh my Data Set via Power BI Online, and this Data Set is based on a Postgres db in Azure Cloud then it connects directly to the Postgres db in the cloud, with no need to connect my PBIX  report locally first. Am I wrong?

Why am I asking- I am currently struggling some issues with a refresh of this Postgres db in the cloud related to my company network firewall on a port 5432 When I connect to PBI Online from  outside company network I have no issues refreshing the data based on the Postgres db via port 5432. That made me really confused about the way PBI refreshes data. 

Thx for reply.

So there is no way to connect to my Oracle database real time to pull data like what Datazen can do?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.