Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ballard-Atkins
Frequent Visitor

Scaling Gantt and Line Chart after slicing

We would like to demonstrate equipment breakdowns against process tank volumes by displaying our volume in a line chart with a Gantt aligned above; the Gantt displays our breakdowns. 

Consider the attached image; theTransfer Pump (failure) event should align with the indicated spot of the line graph. The end should very nearly coincide with the point at which the line graph descends again (they're a day apart).PowerBI.png

The line chart always scales nicely to the width of the visual, is there a way to scale the Gantt to the width of the visual? Setting the "Gantt Date type" under Format options doesn't accomplish the desired result; it just extends the Gantt to as long as it needs to be, either short of the visual width or longer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You are correct; to scale the Gantt chart I have to edit the visual. It's scaled based on ticks; each tick is based on the number of milliseconds in the display unit (day, week, month, etc.). The axis is then set to the margin + number of ticks (among other things). 

So to scale my Gantt chart to my line chart (which does make sense in my use, because the failure correlates directly to the volume represented in the line chart) I have to make the ticks dynamic based on the visual display rather than time frame. 

If anyone's interested, I'll post the modified Gantt when I'm done.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Ballard-Atkins,

I don’t think you can scale the Gantt to the width of the visual, the width of failure description in the Gannt is determined by the Duration.

Gantt chart and Line chart are two different charts, they use different scale type(Line chart uses Linear scale type ) and display report from different dimensions. In my opinion, it doesn’t make sense to scale the width of failure description in Gantt to match the width of points in Line Chart.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You are correct; to scale the Gantt chart I have to edit the visual. It's scaled based on ticks; each tick is based on the number of milliseconds in the display unit (day, week, month, etc.). The axis is then set to the margin + number of ticks (among other things). 

So to scale my Gantt chart to my line chart (which does make sense in my use, because the failure correlates directly to the volume represented in the line chart) I have to make the ticks dynamic based on the visual display rather than time frame. 

If anyone's interested, I'll post the modified Gantt when I'm done.

Hello Ballard,

I'd really like to use this modified visual.

May you respond here when you have it finished?

Thanks, Wallace

I haven't had more opportunity to work on this, but as we get back towards an analysis phase of our project, I might be able to revisit. If I get it created, I will share here.

OK, thanks.

@Ballard-Atkins,

You can post the modified Gantt and accept appropriate replies as answer, that way, other community members would easily find the solution when they get same issues.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.