Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

acs
Regular Visitor

Sankey chart(?) to show when and in what order?

I have a huge table (several million rows) showing data about when students sat exams. Our exams follow a fairly linear route (people tend to do exam 1, then 2, then 3 etc.)

What I want to show is a Sankey-style chart mapping the routes people take through our exams - where they drop out or loop back on themselves (e.g. re-sit an exam etc.)

The data I have is something like this:

Candidate IDExamExam dateGrade
00001Basic1st Jan 2006Pass
00002Basic1st Jan 2006Pass
00003Basic1st Jan 2006Fail
00003Basic1st Mar 2006Pass
00001Intermediate1st Mar 2006Pass

I'm sure there is lots of really interesting stuff I can do with all this data - but I'm struggling under the sheer weight of the amount of it (big data eh? Smiley Happy)

From the above what I'd want is a chart showing 00001 went from Basic to Intermediate; 00002 did Basic and then dropped out; 00003 did Basic, then did Basic again etc.

Hope someone out there can help. Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @acs,

I'm sure there is lots of really interesting stuff I can do with all this data - but I'm struggling under the sheer weight of the amount of it (big data eh? Smiley Happy

You can use your columns(i.e. Exam or Exam date) as Slicers to pick only some of your data you want to be shown on the report, and change it anytime needed. Smiley Happy

From the above what I'd want is a chart showing 00001 went from Basic to Intermediate; 00002 did Basic and then dropped out; 00003 did Basic, then did Basic again etc.

Though the Sankey chart cannot give you the exactly output you want, it should be a good option here. You can use 'Candidate ID' column as Source, Exam column as Destination, and count of Grade as Weight on the Sankey chart like below. It's easy to see that 00001 sits both Basic and Intermediate exam, 00002 just sits Basic exam one time, and 00003 sits Basic exam for two times. Smiley Happy

sankey1.PNG

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors