Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

steph_io
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sameperiod in each prior month, quarter, and year, based on a partial current date frame

My current data time frame runs upto August 8th, but I'm running my report August 17th (today's date), and my Calendar table contains dates up to the end of the year. 

My current MTD should sum from August 1 to August 8th. But I would like a measure to show me the same 8 day range of each prior month. July 1 to July 8th, June 1 to June 8th....

My current QTD should sum from July 1 to August 8th. But I would like a measure to show me the same 39 day range of each prior quarter. January 1 to February 8th, April 1 to May 8th...

My current YTD should sum from January 1 to August 8th. But I would like a measure to show me the same day range in each prior year...

TOTALMTD, DATESMTD... functions just provide the full month of prior months. How do I specify the X day range?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

in addition to what @fhill already suggested,

I would recommend to also have look at this site 

http://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

here a lot of concepts are explained how to use DAX to tackle questions about time intelligence

From my point of view here everything (almost everything) is pictured that has to be solved considering the importanct of time.

Also problems with a leapyear are covered.

Regards 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Yes I have put to practice the majority of this site. It was extremely helpful, for all except this partial date frame. 

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I don't have all your solutions, but hopefull you can use the same methodology to get your other resutls as well...  I think Year might be easy based on the value pattern, Quarter might be harder, but see if this helps leads you to where you need to go...

I have a table of Days and Values, i'm sure your data is more complex but it demostrates the concept.  ** P.S.  If you don't have a value for EVERY day, you may want to RELATED Link the data to a Calendar Table to ensure the DATEDIFF / DATEADD calculations all work. **

** Calculate the number of days since the start of the cureent month vs. TODAY()

DaysIn = DATEDIFF(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),1),TODAY(),DAY)

** SUM Values for  DatesBetween Start of Month (Quarter/Year) & Start of Month DATEADD 'DaysIn'.

SumDaysIn = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Value]), DATESBETWEEN(Table1[Date],STARTOFMONTH(Table1[Date]), DATEADD(STARTOFMONTH(Table1[Date]),[DaysIn],DAY)))

Build a Table with Month values, and the SumDaysIn measure will SUM based on the number of days since the start of each month.  

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors