Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

magnusneck
Frequent Visitor

SSAS Live Connection string properties

We have a couple of on premise SSAS Tabular cubes that we want to use in Power BI. The cubes have roles with row level filters enabled.

As a developer in Power BI Desktop, with administrator permissions to the cubes, I would like to test the row level filters in Power BI Desktop. When developing the cubes in Visual Studio and testing them in Excel it's possible to connect as another user, and test the roles, with the Roles and EffectiveUserName connection properties when connecting to SSAS. I would like to do this in Power BI Desktop too, but I haven't found how to set such connection properties in Power BI Desktop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @magnusneck,

There is no such a functionality that to test role level filters with Roles and EffectiveUserName connection properties in Power BI desktop. You may need to publish the report to Power BI service to test the Role level security settings. Please see:

Tutorial: Dynamic row level security with Analysis services tabular model

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @magnusneck,

There is no such a functionality that to test role level filters with Roles and EffectiveUserName connection properties in Power BI desktop. You may need to publish the report to Power BI service to test the Role level security settings. Please see:

Tutorial: Dynamic row level security with Analysis services tabular model

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply!

That was unfortunately what I suspected...

Do you know if there are any good reasons for not enabling this in Power BI? To me this would make Power BI Desktop a good alternative to using Excel Pivot tables when developing and testing tabular models.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.