Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BFroc
Frequent Visitor

Running Total with multiple entries per date

Hey Everyone,

I've been trying to build a dashboard that connects to our GIS (ESRI ArcGIS 10.3) and our budgeting software (TeamBudget) and I'm trying to calculate the total inventory vs budget annually from 1990. I have inventory data going back to 1900, and budget data back to 1990. I've found several solutions that do running totals using the following syntax:

Running Total in Length Plan = CALCULATE(
				Sum(WD_MAIN_MV_VW[LENGTH_PLAN]),
				All(WD_MAIN_MV_VW),
				WD_MAIN_MV_VW[YEAR_CONSTRUCTED] <= EARLIER (TableDates[Date],1))

However, as cities are not built one project at a time, I have several segments being added to our inventory, independently, every year. Our old data just uses January 1st of each year as we don't have as-built information on the exact construction completion date. 

Here's a snapshot of our dataset for our inventory table (WD_MAIN_MV_VW) as edited by my query.

Capture.JPG

I'm thinking I may have to calculate twice? Year to date summaries for every year as one measure, then another measure for life to date?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

I would use the year to date summary for each individual year, and sum that over the years in the lifespan I want to look at.

I can create this.

Life to date - 54000
2014 - 27000
Project 1 - 15000
Project 2 - 12000
2015 - 27000
Project 3 - 7000
Project 4 - 20000

I want create this.

2014 - 27000
Project 1 - 15000
Project 2 - 12000
2015 - 54000
Project 3 - 7000
Project 4 - 20000

I can do the first bit easily. It's showing those values as a running total that I have trouble doing... I think the April update may have solved my issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @BFroc

What about this measure?

Running Total in Length Plan = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'WD_MAIN_MV_VW'[LENGHT_PLAN] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'TableDates'[Date] ),
        'TableDates'[Date] <= MAX ( 'WD_MAIN_MV_VW'[YEAR_CONSTRUCTED] )
    )
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BFroc,

For your requirement, how to create a life to date summaries for every year as one measure? In your resource table data, I can't find life to data field? Could you please share more details for further analysis?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

I would use the year to date summary for each individual year, and sum that over the years in the lifespan I want to look at.

I can create this.

Life to date - 54000
2014 - 27000
Project 1 - 15000
Project 2 - 12000
2015 - 27000
Project 3 - 7000
Project 4 - 20000

I want create this.

2014 - 27000
Project 1 - 15000
Project 2 - 12000
2015 - 54000
Project 3 - 7000
Project 4 - 20000

I can do the first bit easily. It's showing those values as a running total that I have trouble doing... I think the April update may have solved my issues.

Hi @BFroc,

You have resolved your issue? Please mark right reply as answer. Other persons will find solution easily. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.