Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amnadeem1991
Helper I
Helper I

Reverse Selection in Visuals (reverse slicer)

I have 2 visuals on my dashboard. One visual is a Line chart, showing Spend Values by Categories. The other visual is a slicer, showing list of all Categories (say, A B C D and E). On usual basis, when I select any categories (like A and B), the line chart shows spend related to those selected categories. However, my requirement is opposite to that. Means, when I select Category A and B in slicer, the line chart should show all the data except related to Category A and B . . . . The Reverse Selection!
Is there any DAX or Visual or Interaction available to enable this task?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK @amnadeem1991, I believe I have it.. What I did was duplicate my disconnected table CategoryExcept as CategoryExcept1. This should also be a completely disconnected table (not connected to CategoryExcept or ExceptCategories in my model.

Then, create your second slicer based upon CategoryExcept, your original disconnected table. Edit interactions to not have this slicer filter the table that you have that you created with the original "Measures to Show". Now, create the following measure:

Measures to Show 1 = 
    VAR mytable1 = EXCEPT(ALL(CategoryExcept[Category]),VALUES(CategoryExcept[Category]))
    VAR mytable = EXCEPT(mytable1,VALUES(ExceptCategories[Category]))
    RETURN
IF(
    ISFILTERED(ExceptCategories[Category]),
    IF(HASONEVALUE(CategoryExcept1[Category]),
    SWITCH(VALUES(CategoryExcept1[Category]),
        "Consultancy",IF(CONTAINS(mytable,[Category],"Consultancy"),[ConsultancySum],BLANK()),
        "Fruit",IF(CONTAINS(mytable,[Category],"Fruit"),[FruitSum],BLANK()),
        "Hardware",IF(CONTAINS(mytable,[Category],"Hardware"),[HardwareSum],BLANK()),
        "Juices",IF(CONTAINS(mytable,[Category],"Juices"),[JuicesSum],BLANK()),
        "Office Supplies",IF(CONTAINS(mytable,[Category],"Office Supplies"),[OfficeSuppliesSum],BLANK()),
        "PPE",IF(CONTAINS(mytable,[Category],"PPE"),[PPESum],BLANK()),
        "Software",IF(CONTAINS(mytable,[Category],"Software"),[SoftwareSum],BLANK()),
        BLANK()
    ))
)

You should notice that this is exactly the same as the original "Measures to Show" measure (uses the same measures you previously created) except for the first two VAR lines and the references to CategoryExcept1 instead of CategoryExcept. Effectively, what those two VAR lines are doing are taking all of your category values, excluding the values selected in your first slicer and then excluding the values you selected in your second slicer. Create a table visualization with the Category from CategoryExcept1 and this new "Measures to Show 1" and you should have what you are looking for. In theory, you could essentially continue this technique ad infinitum.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.