Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report not refreshing because of Data Gateway even so I deleted the gateway I stil get the same erro

Hello

I am new to Power BI and I was testing few things with the Power Bi deskop. My report source is Azure blob storage with JSON file format. All work good and I can do my report and publish to my web account.

In some point I tested the personla GW feature and created a Gateway. After the GW activation I keep getting the error that Dataset can not be refreshed becuase the GW is offline...... I removed the GW from the PowerBI gateway managment and I still get the same error and cannot refresh my dataset.

Saying more local GW is not supporting Azure Blob storage data source so even with GW configuration blob storage dataset should be refreshed regardless to GW configuration (maybe its a bug).

My second question is regards to PowerQuery building in Power BI Desktop:

I have currently 3.5 GB blob storage data with a lot of JSON files. I managed to read the data and Parse it with the query builder, but every change in the Query it is go and check a gain over to complete blob size. I even noticed no matter what change I make to filter the data it always download or process 2 time the blobe size in my case it will do 7GB data check until I get the Aplay process finish. Is there a way to skip the long process by publish the pbix file first and all the data set build will do like a dataset Refresh process do ?

My last question is for PowerBi embeded:

I have the same pbix with Azure blob storage as source also as embded power bI accesible from PHP web page. All documentation explain how to update Azure SQL or Data Lake SQL source with the connection credentials, but no any documentation if it possible to do on blob storage data source and refresh the data of embeded report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Just to share with everyone the solution for this one.

Power BI portal prompt me for the Gateway becuae I had one source of local Excel file from my PC.

After I created a local new table and copy the content of the Excel file to this table and remove the Excel data source...

Power BI portal just refresh the data source with no problem from the Azure SQL.

Br,

Lior

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

The gateway listed in Power BI Service – Manage gateways is on-premises gateway but not personal gateway. We can only see the status of personal gateway in Power BI Service  - Dataset settings, or by opening the personal gateway application installed in your local machine.

For the second question, I don’t think it is possible now. We need to apply the steps before publish.

For the last question, are you looking for documents like https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-azure-and-power-bi/?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

pbi.png

Thank you for the answer.

I don't still understand how to fix the personal Gateway problem.

I uninstalled the Gateway from my PC. I deleted the reports and datasets from Power BI portals.

I published the pbix fie again (no gw on my computer), but when I go to the dataset settings I still get message that I have offline personal gateway....

Where in power BI portal i can remove the personal gw as it look like after uninstalling the gw from the local computer it is not removed from the portal settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Just to share with everyone the solution for this one.

Power BI portal prompt me for the Gateway becuae I had one source of local Excel file from my PC.

After I created a local new table and copy the content of the Excel file to this table and remove the Excel data source...

Power BI portal just refresh the data source with no problem from the Azure SQL.

Br,

Lior

Thanks.

I had the same problem. I didn't notice that one of my data sources was not setup through the gateway. So it kept giving me the personal gateway prompt. After I added the location (Folder) to the on-prem gateway (or deleted the source from the report as a test) it allowed me to switch to on-prem gateway and set the schedule refresh. 

I think this might catch a few people out if they have lots going on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.