Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nchinbong
Frequent Visitor

Report level filter, Require single selection

I am wondering if there is a way to require a single selection on a Report Level Filter? I see the check box when I have it as a page level filter, but do not see the check box when I drag the field to the Report Level filter.

6 REPLIES 6
vatti
Regular Visitor

Any update on this please???

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nchinbong,

Based on my test, single selection is also available in Report level filters. In your scenario, when you drag a field to Report level filters, please check if it's Basic filtering or Advanced filtering. The check box is available in Basic filtering instead of Advanced filtering. See:

Basic filteringBasic filteringAdvanced filteringAdvanced filtering

Reference:

How to use report filters

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Below, highlighted in yellow is the option I was looking for. It appears in the page level filters, but not in the report level filters.

singleselect.JPG

If this is by design, do you know why (@ankitpatira)?

Hi @nchinbong,

I have also found the "Require single selection" is not available in Report level filters. In my opinion, the report may contain many pages and lots of visuals, and the report level filters are applied to whole report. If we check only one value in report level filters, it's possible that not all visuals can display data well. Also without "Require single selection" enabled, we can also check one value each time. So the "Require single selection" is not required.

In your scenario, if you really want the "Require single selection" feature in report level filters property, you can post your idea in Power BI Ideas forum at this link: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas .

Thanks for your understanding and support. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Quiyun Yu,

I also have the requirement to be able to specify that a report filter is single select only.

I'm not sure I follow your logic as to why you think it isn't required.....I do indeed have a report that has lots of pages and visuals, but I have designed it in such a way (to meet business requirements) that it ONLY makes sense when the report filter has a single selection.  Yes you can select single items, but if a user selects multiple items, as currently allowed, the visuals do not make sense or they display incorrectly.  So 'require single selection' IS required.

I'm not sure I understand why the single select option is only available at the page level and not at report level, why take away a bit of functionality that might suit someone's specific requirements?

I would post this as an idea but when I searched for 'report filter single select' it came back with 1654 currently raised ideas, I think it might get lost in there 😉

Hoping you can help.....

Thanks

Mark

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nchinbong if you want single select then you will have to use page level filter as with visual and report level filters you don't get single selection and i think this is by design.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.