Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replicating an INDEX/MATCH formula using multiple variables

I have two data tables.

1. Call Data - the important fields here are "CALL ID", "AGENT", "CALL START TIME", "CALL END TIME"

2. Interaction Records - the important fields here are "AGENT", "RECORD ID", "CREATION TIME"

I match the interaction records to the calls based on it being the same AGENT and the CREATION TIME falling between the CALL START / CALL END times and then I append the CALL ID to the Interaction Record. There can be multiple Interaction Records matching to a single call. Also, it is possible that a call has no matching interaction records or that an interaction record has no matching calls.

I'd like to move the matching up into POWERBI rather than doing it in Excel before I load because I'm dealing with millions of records. Right now the Excel array that I use is:

{=IFERROR(INDEX('Call Data'!$A:$A,MATCH(1,IF(IR-AGENT='Call Data'!$R:$R,IF(CREATION TIME>='Call Data'!$C:$C,IF(CREATIOIN TIME<='Call Data'!$E:$E,1))),0)),0)}

How do I replicate this in Power BI?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

You can try to do that in Power Query.

Check 

let  
    Call=  Table.FromRows({{1,	1,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"},{2,	2,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"},{3,	3,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"},{4,4,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"}}, {"CALL ID", "AGENT","CALL START TIME","CALL END TIME"}),

Interaction=Table.FromRows({{1,1,"3/2/2017"},{1,2,"3/3/2017"},{2,3,"3/3/2017"},{5,4,"3/3/2017"}},{"AGENT" , "RECORD ID", "CREATION TIME"}),

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Interaction,{"AGENT"},Call,{"AGENT"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {"CALL ID", "AGENT", "CALL START TIME", "CALL END TIME"}, {"NewColumn.CALL ID", "NewColumn.AGENT", "NewColumn.CALL START TIME", "NewColumn.CALL END TIME"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded NewColumn", each ([CREATION TIME] >= [NewColumn.CALL START TIME] and [CREATION TIME] <=[NewColumn.CALL END TIME]) or ([NewColumn.CALL ID] = null))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

View solution in original post

dearwatson
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

As Eric pointed out you can pretty easily do the join in Power Query, I do this a lot for reconcilations.

Here's the no-code version:

Open the Query editor and select one of the tables then use "Merge Queries" in the top right of the Query Editor window.

Capture.PNG

You are looking for a "full outer join" on AGENT which will give you both matching and unmatched records.

Expand the column and pick the CALLID column to add it to the records, this will give you a bunch of extra records as each matching call will be added as a row..

You should be able to figure it out from there.

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dearwatson
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

As Eric pointed out you can pretty easily do the join in Power Query, I do this a lot for reconcilations.

Here's the no-code version:

Open the Query editor and select one of the tables then use "Merge Queries" in the top right of the Query Editor window.

Capture.PNG

You are looking for a "full outer join" on AGENT which will give you both matching and unmatched records.

Expand the column and pick the CALLID column to add it to the records, this will give you a bunch of extra records as each matching call will be added as a row..

You should be able to figure it out from there.

"The commonality between science and art is in trying to see profoundly - to develop strategies of seeing and showing." - Edward Tufte
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

You can try to do that in Power Query.

Check 

let  
    Call=  Table.FromRows({{1,	1,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"},{2,	2,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"},{3,	3,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"},{4,4,	"3/1/2017",	"4/1/2017"}}, {"CALL ID", "AGENT","CALL START TIME","CALL END TIME"}),

Interaction=Table.FromRows({{1,1,"3/2/2017"},{1,2,"3/3/2017"},{2,3,"3/3/2017"},{5,4,"3/3/2017"}},{"AGENT" , "RECORD ID", "CREATION TIME"}),

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Interaction,{"AGENT"},Call,{"AGENT"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {"CALL ID", "AGENT", "CALL START TIME", "CALL END TIME"}, {"NewColumn.CALL ID", "NewColumn.AGENT", "NewColumn.CALL START TIME", "NewColumn.CALL END TIME"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded NewColumn", each ([CREATION TIME] >= [NewColumn.CALL START TIME] and [CREATION TIME] <=[NewColumn.CALL END TIME]) or ([NewColumn.CALL ID] = null))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.