Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Values from Slicers

Is there a way to hide the blank values but not filter out the data? 

For example:

I have a column with binary values "Yes" or "No" but I want the slicer to just have the "yes" option showing. I do not want to filter out the NO data though. So the slicer would be selecting either ALL DATA or Data with YES in that column. I can elaborate if needed! Please help Smiley Sad 

This thread below teaches how to filter out blank values but I want to keep the data so it does not apply to my situation. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-remove-the-null-blank-from-a-slicer/m-p/370925#M1681...

11 REPLIES 11
MeMay

I m not sure what power BI version you are using, 

but i m using power bi Version: 2.109.1021.0 64-bit (September 2022)

To do this, 

1. go to focus mode on your slicer 

2. right click on the level you wish to remove 

3. click exclude"

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

Drag field from table below and add a measure to filter the data.

Table =
ROW ( "Flag", "Yes" )
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been describing this issue poorly, I really only need a visual level filter for a slicer... which does not seem to be possible. 

I know exactly what you are trying to do as I'm trying accomplish this myself. Right now I have buttons that that overlap one another and it works. One button sets the filter to 'Y' and the other sets the filter to "All Data". As one button is press, it hides itself and shows the other button. It works but it is not flawless as I would like it to be when using it online. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This filters out data that I need in my report though. All I want is a way to filter out slicer options without actually removing the data. 

Just want to be able to hide a value in a slicer without actually filtering out the data. The Slicer currently shows "Yes" & "No" as selection options, I want it the slicer to just show "YES" because no one will ever be selecting "NO".

Can anyone advise?

SivaMani
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous,

of course. There is a way to do this.

1. Create another slicer with the same field
  2. Select values which you want to display. In your case, select yes
  3. Hide the slicer: Option available in Selection Pane

Let me if you need any other help:) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SivaMani @Anonymous @v-chuncz-msft

my data is in cloud and it changes time to time so i don't know what item will be there on daily basis. What i want is to simple select all except the Blank(). Please see the image attached.

Blank in Slicer.png

Any help is appriciated. Thank you guys

@Anonymous,

Try the below approach

Blank.gif 

The reason for blank values can be found here

Thanks,

Siva

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SivaMani Thank you for the reply. Will this work if my list grows from backend?

@Anonymous,

Yes, It will work. It excludes only blank value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey SivaMani,

This filters out data that I need in my report though. All I want is a way to filter out slicer options without actually removing the data. 

Just want to be able to hide a value in a slicer without actually filtering out the data. The Slicer currently shows "Yes" & "No" as selection options, I want it the slicer to just show "YES" because no one will ever be selecting "NO".

Can anyone advise?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors