Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

heimk008
Frequent Visitor

Remove duplicate rows based on max value of a different column

Hello!

I have a set of data that I am trying to remove duplicates from based on the number of filled cells per row. The data is form submissions that have a person's email address and then a number of different fields that could be filled, ranging from 1 - 16 filled cells. I was able to get make a column that tells me how many cells are filled for each of my rows which basically gives me a max. I have removed the duplicates that have the same email address and the same amount of filled cells but now I need to remove any duplicates (based on the email address) that have less than the max amount of filled cells for each email address. I found another a solution in the forums to do this with DAX but I need to be able to do this within the Query Editor so that once I have removed the duplicates I can append this data with other ones. 

Here is a snap shot of what the query currently looks like, and I have marked the ones that I would want removed: 

query.jpg

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes:

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I do something similar in one of my reports that should work here (given the lack of incremental load), where I've merged two queries, a bunch of existing data which I give a number 1 in a custom field, and new data, which I give the number 2 in the same custom field. If I sort it on that column in descending order, it gets rid of any old data that's been updated, so the same principle should work for your problem - sort it descending by your #filled value then remove duplicates on your email column?

Thanks for the response , however that doesn't seem to work. Even when I sort by decending and then remove duplicate emails it still takes away some of the emails that have the highest number of filled cells. 

For example:

before-

before.jpg

after -

after.jpg

you can see that I now lost the entry with 16 filled cells. 

A known issue with sorting and removing duplicates is that you need to buffer the table in between.

You might wrap your sort step like: Table.Buffer(your sortcode).

@MarcelBeug,

still relatively new to Power BI, what does "wrap your sort step like: Table.Buffer(your sortcode)" actually mean? are you able to show me by chance? 

Yes:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.