Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jblackshear
Advocate III
Advocate III

Remote Desktop Installation?

I want to make the Power BI Desktop available to a few others within my organization. Most of us work a couple of days a week from home, and those with the normal "Users" access on the VPN cannot connect to our databases from their desktops when out of the office. Anything that must connect to the ERP system and any databases is accessed via Remote Desktop services.

Is it possible to install Power BI Desktop (and get the regular updates) on remote desktop? Can I hear from anyone who has done that?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
kellysolutions
Regular Visitor

I have Power BI on Windows Server 2012 (Terminal Server / Remote Desktop).

Performance is very bad. Even installing  / update is slow.

Have you had any experience of this or suggestions about what might be casuing it?

Thanks,

Paul

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@jblackshear wrote:

I want to make the Power BI Desktop available to a few others within my organization. Most of us work a couple of days a week from home, and those with the normal "Users" access on the VPN cannot connect to our databases from their desktops when out of the office. Anything that must connect to the ERP system and any databases is accessed via Remote Desktop services.

Is it possible to install Power BI Desktop (and get the regular updates) on remote desktop? Can I hear from anyone who has done that?

Thanks,

@jblackshear

It is surely possible. I actually install Power BI desktop in remote desktops and work on a connected remote. What is the OS version of the remote desktop? Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2, or later is required. 

Thank you for your response, Eric. Our RDS hosts are Windows Server 2012 R2.  How are the frequent updates of Power BI Desktop handled in your system? We use KASE to track our software installations and manage updates.

Thanks,

@jblackshear wrote:

Thank you for your response, Eric. Our RDS hosts are Windows Server 2012 R2.  How are the frequent updates of Power BI Desktop handled in your system? We use KASE to track our software installations and manage updates.

Thanks,

@jblackshear

Monthly, just follow the Power BI desktop monthly releases.

@Eric_Zhang, sorry if I’m a little dense about this, but I know nothing about remote desktop setup and installation, and our system administrator knows nothing about Power BI.

Are you able to set Power BI up on remote desktop to use the Store version of Power BI and update automatically (whether any user has opened it lately or not)? Or do you have to manually trigger the update when you know that the Power BI update is ready?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.