Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Relative Date & Date Offset formula stopped working

I have some direct query reports where some of the date functions have stopped working.

I live in New Zealand and thus have a Column added to my table called

Date NZTimeZone_NowDateTime = NOW()+(13/24)

this gives date and time and from this another column just for the date

Date NZTimeZone_NowDate = DATE(YEAR(vBI_WorkCompletedReport[Date NZTimeZone_NowDateTime]),MONTH(vBI_WorkCompletedReport[Date NZTimeZone_NowDateTime]),DAY(vBI_WorkCompletedReport[Date NZTimeZone_NowDateTime]))

These work fine. Gives me the correct date and time on the PowerBI website when the pbix file is uploaded.

From this I have many calculations that work on relative date and I use the column

Date Relative Date = [Date DeliveryDate]-[Date NZTimeZone_NowDate]

Date DeliveryDate being a Date column and Date Relative Date being set as a whole number.

For the last year this way of calculating relative date has worked great. But in the last two weeks something has stopped working. I could look back -7 days or look in the future but now it's all stopped working. I did not update or change the reports. Gateway still working. Everything else in the reports is fine. It actually looks fine on my PowerBI desktop file on my computer.

Online I get the error

2016-12-12 08_14_46-.png

I have a future loads calculation that just looks for loads where the date is greater than 0. 0 being today. This looks fine on my computer but online I get an error.

Future Loads =CALCULATE(SUM(vBI_WorkCompletedReport[Loads]),vBI_WorkCompletedReport[JobStatus]<>13,vBI_WorkCompletedReport[Date Relative Date]>=0)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @elliotdixon,

I test on my side, these formula works well(both desktop and service sides), Since I can't reproduce your issue, can you provide a sample file to test?

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

In addition, you can try to use datediff function to get the diff range.

Notice, I test on version 2.41.4581.361 64-bit (November 2016).

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft I managed to get the DateDiff formula working.

Posted by @Elliott over in http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Today-Filter-in-Reports/m-p/19886#M6012

I used

Days Aging NZ = DATEDIFF([Date],NOW()+(13/24),DAY)

as I am in New Zealand and everything has to be changed for +13 hours to get it to display right online.

Seems to work ok as a filter. Adds a column with the right relative number of days to todays date.

I can sucessfully apply this as a visual filter e.g. "Days Aging NZ is less that 7" to show the last 7 days. Works great.

However when I add this filter into a measure it all falls down. Creating something like

Last 7 Days Loads NZ 2 = CALCULATE([Loads Completed],DataTable[Days Aging NZ]<7)

does not work.

or

Last 7 Days Loads NZ = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTable[Loads]),DataTable[Days Aging NZ]<7)

or even with FILTER

Last 7 Days Loads basic = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTable[Loads]),FILTER(DataTable,DataTable[Days Aging NZ]<7))

All give errors - this sort of calculation used to work. Now get the error

2016-12-14 16_29_54-Test All Customers Live - Copy - Power BI.png

2016-12-14 16_30_12-Test All Customers Live - Copy - Power BI.png

2016-12-14 16_32_59-Test All Customers Live - Copy - Power BI.png

seems odd

Hi @elliotdixon,

Since there are some limitations when you use dax on "DirectQuery" mode, I'd like to suggest you calculate these values at query editor.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft Thanks for looking into this.

Unfortunately with it being a direct query connection the pbix file wont work. Attached is an example anyway (I tried creating a whole new file to test just incase the latest upgrade to BI caused some issues)

On my desktop everything looks fine. Its only when I upload the file. I have tried filtering just to the current month so not too much load on the server (even though this is only a few thousand line table being queried)

Desktop.

2016-12-14 12_12_33-Test Relative Date - Power BI Desktop.png

BI Website - just get spinning circles for the tables and the graph for last 7 days does not work correctly.

2016-12-14 12_02_41-Test Relative Date - Power BI.png

File here - pbix

Thanks for looking at this - hopefully its just something simple I am doing wrong.

Rgds

ED

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.