Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

denisdav
Frequent Visitor

Register column as latitude and longitude

Hi All,

I can't change my columns type (LATTUD & LNGTUD) as latitude and longitude. Please help.

Thanks.

screenshot power bi.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Bokazoit
Post Patron
Post Patron

Go to DATA and mark the Latitude column

Under modelling choose 'Data Category' and set to Latitude.

Same for Longitude.

Hi @Bokazoit, I've changed it, but still can't map. Is the format is wrong? Please help. Thanks.

mapmapchange typechange typechange typechange type

That Latitude column You are showing does not look like lititude to me. Latitude and Longitude is to my knowledge in the form of a point on a sphere. So using SQL you can get a point by writing select POINT(Latitude, Longitude) Latitude = 89.12547896 and Longitude = 26.321598745

*bump*

Did you try in the latest version of Power BI Desktop or Power BI web?

Could you try and post the latest screenshot? if the map is empty and displays a warning sign at the top left corner of the visual, click it and post that warning message as well.

Thanks

Mey

Do you have a formula to convert your data to decimal degrees?  What I mean is do you know how to do it from a procedural basis but can't do it, or are you saying you don't even know the process to confert it?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

I've found that latitude and longitude doesn't work in direct query mode. I'm going to stick a video together tonight talking about this.

Otherwise though you need to change the 'data category' in the data model section.

Hi @finytics we'll be waiting for your video. Thanks in advance. 🙂

I believe the correct format for the data is decimal degrees. 

Eg 

Coordinates of Sydney in decimal degrees

Latitude: -33.8678500
Longitude: 151.207320

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington So I can't use the column? How to change this GPS format into degree? 

http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

Hmm still can't convert it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.