Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anpjorge

Refresh Data and Publish to Web Automatically

Hi,

I develop a dashboard, which is linked to a datawarehouse and some excel files at my computer. Everyday, when I get to work I have to open the Power BI Desktop, refresh de data and publish to the web (so the link that I shared to my collegues is up to date).

Is there any way to automatically do this? Can anybody help me?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

André Jorge

9 REPLIES 9
djankuna
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

This discussion happened years ago, wanted to ask if there are any updates how to work around this? 

Best,

The response from yaplester is probably your best bet if you are dealing with a database source. You setup the gateway to connect to your in house database and reference that source in your PBIX. You can then schedule when the PBIX refeshes from your source. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone, I have the same issue, I need automate the publish in PowerBi, I have talk with many people in groups of powerbi the unique solution found is create a macro to automate the publish in power bi.. if someone find another way to automate please share with us. 

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I have found a way to do the data refresh (data source = excel file,text file). What we need is actually use a Gateway and use that gateway in Power BI web version to create a datasource. From the created data source you can then configure the link of your source data (link from File). Then for the refresh schedule, you need to set up from the data set that was uploaded when you publish.

Hope it helps.

yaplester

I also would like to know if theres any update on this problem

smoss115
Frequent Visitor

I am running into the same problem. I'd rather not have to manually publish each morning. I need to auto-refresh and then auto-publish.

ashleykratz

Is there any update on if this is available at this point? 

ashleykratz

Were you ever able to find something to make this work? I am running into the same issue. @anpjorge 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

There isn't something to do that. However you can install a Power Bi On premise gateway on a server that has connectivity with the data and schedule refresh of data in order to be up to date on the link you share automatically. That 's the way power bi refreshes data.

Here is some doc: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.