Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

supernk79

Real Time Report Build Using Oracle Database

Hi: I have historical data in my Enterprise Data Warehouse on Teradata and my Operational Data Store is on Oracle. My operational data store stores the data only for 5 days. The operational data gets updated almost every 5 minutes.

I need to develop a report that displays the data upto 15 minute lag from current system time and compare that to last week's same day i.e if I am displaying a Monday report, I need to compare that with last monday's report for the 24 hour window. and the report should keep refreshing automatically without any manual intervention. Is that possible in PowerBI ? I tried in Direct query mode but since there 2 different sources, it is not allowing to do in a direct query mode and i have to import which is not working as expected. 

Seee the sample below.

Any help is appreciated

.24-hr window real time report24-hr window real time report

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @supernk79

When using DirectQuery mode to connect to Oracle database from Power BI Desktop, all data must come from same data source and same Oracle database. In your scenario, you can move data from Enterprise Data Warehouse to Oracle database, then use DirectQuery mode. Or you can switch from DirectQuery mode to import mode in Power BI Desktop to connect to different data sources, then create reports in Power BI Desktop and publish reports to Power BI Service, this way, you are able to set schedule refresh for your dataset.

However, if you intend to display real-time report in Power BI Service, you would need to set up a real-time streaming dataset, which is introduced in this official article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-real-time-streaming/.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @supernk79,

Firstly, schedule refresh is only allowed 8 times a day. The performance issue is related to multiple elements, you can following the guide in this blog to optimize your data model to avoid poor performance.

Secondly, to set up streaming dataset, you would need to firstly migrate your data from Oracle or Teradata to Pubnub or Azure Stream Analytics.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @supernk79

When using DirectQuery mode to connect to Oracle database from Power BI Desktop, all data must come from same data source and same Oracle database. In your scenario, you can move data from Enterprise Data Warehouse to Oracle database, then use DirectQuery mode. Or you can switch from DirectQuery mode to import mode in Power BI Desktop to connect to different data sources, then create reports in Power BI Desktop and publish reports to Power BI Service, this way, you are able to set schedule refresh for your dataset.

However, if you intend to display real-time report in Power BI Service, you would need to set up a real-time streaming dataset, which is introduced in this official article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-real-time-streaming/.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks Zhang. A couple of more questions on your response

1. When I do the import mode in Power BI Desktop, how frequently can I refresh the data? I am looking for less < 15 minutes, also my data is about 2.5 M from Analytical Warehouse, will it cause any performance issues? Please clarify.

I went through the link related to display real-time report, i could not find any references to relational databases like Oracle & Teradata. If I want to do a data streaming from Oracle or Teradata, may I know what is required to do? 

Appreciate your immediate response. Thanks!

Hi @supernk79,

Firstly, schedule refresh is only allowed 8 times a day. The performance issue is related to multiple elements, you can following the guide in this blog to optimize your data model to avoid poor performance.

Secondly, to set up streaming dataset, you would need to firstly migrate your data from Oracle or Teradata to Pubnub or Azure Stream Analytics.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

supernk79

Hi All: I have to develop a dashboard that need to have live data from Operational data source ( Oralce ) on the left side and data from analytical warehouse ( Teradata ) on the right side. I am not able to have both live & import connection in a single dashboard, may I know what is work around for this?

Thanks!

Naveen.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.