Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

christinamarie
Frequent Visitor

RANKX measure across two tables not working

I currently have two tables:

1. Sales Data, in "long" format, which lists the Week, Salesman name, the Product and the number of Units of each product that person sold.  

2. Photo URLs, a table that contains the Salesman name and a photo URL of that salesman. 

Table: Sales DataTable: Sales Data

Table: Photo URLsTable: Photo URLs

My goal is to have 3 separate table visuals for the 3 different products (Computers, TVs, Phones), listing the Salesman, the average number of units for that product sold, and that salesman's rank (average units). I then want to have an Image Viewer visual above each table, showing the photo of the salesman with the #1 ranking for each product. I also have a "Week" slicer that dynamically changes the rankings, depending on which weeks of data the user has elected to see. Right now, I have calculated the measure Rank within the Sales Data table using the following DAX expression:

Rank = RANKX(ALL('Sales Data'[Salesman]) , CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Sales Data'[Units])))

The above expression seems to work perfectly for the dynamics of the table visuals and Week slicer. However, when I try to set up the Image Viewer visuals to display the image of the salesman with the Rank equal to 1 and Product to the relevant product, it doesn't work the way I had anticipated, as it shows the same salesperson, regardless of their ranking. The two tables currently have an active one-to-many relationship, joined on the Salesman name and the cross-filter direction is set to "Both". 

The Ranks corresponding to each picture are all 1, regardless of the average number of units.The Ranks corresponding to each picture are all 1, regardless of the average number of units.

To see what the issue was, I set up an additional table visual that contained the Salesman Image URL, the Average Units Sold and the Rank measure, where Product = 'Computers'. All of the Ranks equaled 1, even though the averages themselves weren't equal. Any help to get the images to dynamically change with the use of the Week slicer would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @christinamarie

On your Image Viewer visuals, are you applying a Visual Level Filter set to Rank = 1?

If so, you should be able to fix your issue by adjusting your Rank measure:

Rank =
RANKX (
    ALL ( 'Sales Data'[Salesman] ),
    CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( 'Sales Data'[Units] ), ALL ( 'Photo URLs' ) ),
    AVERAGE ( 'Sales Data'[Units] )
)

The problem looks to be due to the Photo URLs filter being present when RANKX iterates through ALL ( 'Sales Data'[Salesman] ), so the above measure clears the 'Photo URLs' filters for that purpose.

Alternatively, rather than using Rank as a Visual Level Filter, you could add either 'Photo URLs'[Salesman] or 'Sales Data'[Salesman] as a Visual Level FIlter on the Image Viewer, with Filter Type = TopN, set to "Show Top 1", with By Value = Units (average).

Do either of these work?

Post back if needed.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @christinamarie

On your Image Viewer visuals, are you applying a Visual Level Filter set to Rank = 1?

If so, you should be able to fix your issue by adjusting your Rank measure:

Rank =
RANKX (
    ALL ( 'Sales Data'[Salesman] ),
    CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( 'Sales Data'[Units] ), ALL ( 'Photo URLs' ) ),
    AVERAGE ( 'Sales Data'[Units] )
)

The problem looks to be due to the Photo URLs filter being present when RANKX iterates through ALL ( 'Sales Data'[Salesman] ), so the above measure clears the 'Photo URLs' filters for that purpose.

Alternatively, rather than using Rank as a Visual Level Filter, you could add either 'Photo URLs'[Salesman] or 'Sales Data'[Salesman] as a Visual Level FIlter on the Image Viewer, with Filter Type = TopN, set to "Show Top 1", with By Value = Units (average).

Do either of these work?

Post back if needed.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

@OwenAuger

This worked perfectly, thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.