Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

izhilin
Frequent Visitor

Query Parameter Date does not show up in Filter Rows

Dear Power BI Fellows

I have a table which I need to filter using two date parameters (max date and min date).

1. I get the dates from SQL server as List Queries.
  2. I create parameters which use List Queries as input.
  3. However, these parameters do not appear in Filter Rows.

1. Create a list query

2018-06-05_102401.png

2. Create a date parameter with List Query as Source. I also set Current Value manually.2018-06-05_102659.png

3. Now, I would like to use this parameter filterMinDate to filter the date column [Entry Date] of another loaded table. But my created parameter does not show up in the filter!

2018-06-05_103154.png

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Igor.

4 REPLIES 4
izhilin
Frequent Visitor

Okay, so I managed to get the parameter to appear in the date filter by changing its type to Date/Time.

2018-06-05_105201.png

2018-06-05_105257.png

However, now I get this error:

Formula.Firewall: Query 'Invoice' (step 'Filtered Rows') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.2018-06-05_105432.png

I found a blog post that explains how to fix this in Excel Power Query: https://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/03/11/power-query-errors-please-rebuild-this-data-combination/, but I am unable to reproduce it in PBI.

Please help.

Hi @izhilin,

I guess you have added those 3 columns above your filtered row step from different tables in your report.

So if possible, move the filtered rows steps to before the column additions. i.e. Next to the source step.

Hopefully, that should solve the issue

Regards,

Thejeswar

@Thejeswar

Thanks for the reply.

Actually the 3 added columns are calculated from the same table.

Anyway, I moved the Filter step right after the Source step. However, I still get this Formula.Firewall error!2018-06-05_111623.png

I understand that both parameters filterMinDate and filterMaxDate come from SQL Queries. But I still cannot figure out the "it may not directly access a data source".

Why then is there an option to use Query as source for parameter at all?

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hello @izhilin,

I tried the things that you specified and it works fine for me.

Find below the screenshots

List QueryList QueryParameter CreationParameter CreationSetting up FilterSetting up Filter

The Issue might be something else like...May be the value supplied to your parameter is not in proper date format. Just check once if your parameter and the column you are filtering on match the format?

Regards,

Thejeswar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.