Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LeonardoVega
Frequent Visitor

Problems whit SSAS live conection

Good Morning.
I have several problems with power bi desktop.
1.- I can't connect to a server using a vpn. The customer gave me a vpn to connect to your database. The problem is that I can't connect to the SQL Server Analysis Services database.
It says the server name is incorrect. The only way I can connect to SSAS is by using the runas command in cmd to run the program with the domain and the server administrator.

manchester runas.png

I need to find a way to connect to the VPN without the need to use cmd commands.

2.- Once connected to SSAS in live connection mode, I cannot customize the reports.

MANCHESTER ERRORES.png

I need create a measure and column in the report but most of the features of power bi are not enabled.
I have the need to specify roles in the roles manage to end users.
I need help solving these problems.

These two problems are from the same report.
Do you have any ideas?
Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@LeonardoVega

1. Since you need VPN to connect your database remotely, you have to the runas command to run Power BI Desktop. It's not supported to connect directly within Power BI Desktop.

2. When you open live connection to SSAS server, it's not supported to edit the source model. Currently, only Tabular model supports creating measures in Power BI Desktop. For multidimensional cubes, you can't create any measures or calculated columns.

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@LeonardoVega

1. Since you need VPN to connect your database remotely, you have to the runas command to run Power BI Desktop. It's not supported to connect directly within Power BI Desktop.

2. When you open live connection to SSAS server, it's not supported to edit the source model. Currently, only Tabular model supports creating measures in Power BI Desktop. For multidimensional cubes, you can't create any measures or calculated columns.

Connect to SSAS Multidimensional Models in Power BI Desktop

Analysis Services Tabular data in Power BI Desktop

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.