Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

IAmDan
Advocate I
Advocate I

Problems publishing updates from desktop

I am having problems publishing upates from Power BI Desktop.

Publishing updates was fine last week, but now whenever i try i get the following pop up:

Power BI.png

I have re-installed the desktop app and still gettng the pop up.

When i have had problems in the past i have deleted the report and dataset and then re-published, however doing it that way requires a new URL for reports published to web as the old one does not link to the re-published report, even if it has the same name (at least in my experience!), which causes issues when you've published the URL in executive reports and they.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure what is causing this but signing out of P BI Desktop and back in has let me publish updates again.

Something is wrong somewhere along the line so hoefully will be fixed soon but in the meantime a simple workaround.

Solution was found in this thread:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/this-report-was-already-published-to-the-selected-destinatio...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the solutions posted above such as signing out and publishing in different ways( Online and through desktop). Does anyone have another solution?

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @IAmDan,

Which version of Power BI desktop are you using? The latest version is Version: 2.41.4581.361 64-bit (November 2016), pelase try to update you desktop to latest version and check if this issue persists or not.

Latest version of Power BI desktop is available on the link below.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/get-started/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi Charlie.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the latest version, albeit the 32 bit version - Version: 2.41.4581.361 32-bit (November 2016)

(my employers are yet to embrace the joys of a 64bit OS!)

I stopped getting the error yesterday and publishing has been working fine until this afternoon when i have again started getting the same serror.

I have just noticed on the service, at the side of one of my datasets that I am trying to update, there is an error icon that shows this when i click on it:

Error 3.png

I am not using a gateway and to my understanding i don't need one as my datasets are all just standard Excel tables.

Could this be affecting it?

I now have a colleague who has the same problem

Not sure what is causing this but signing out of P BI Desktop and back in has let me publish updates again.

Something is wrong somewhere along the line so hoefully will be fixed soon but in the meantime a simple workaround.

Solution was found in this thread:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/this-report-was-already-published-to-the-selected-destinatio...

I just experienced this issue. I just installed the Jan 2017 PBI Desktop update today but I am pretty sure I published at least once successfully since then.  The *only* thing I changed in the .pbix was to enable wordwrap in some table columns so maybe that was not enough of a change? I do not want to delete the dataset that has already been published just in case the problem persists even after I delete it. I did try closing PBI Desktop & signing out of the service--that did not solve the problem for me.

This is much like when I sometimes republish a .pbix file and when I go to update the content pack PBI does not recognize/flag the content pack as needing to be republished. So I have to edit the title/description to force PBI to enable the Update button for the content pack. Grrr...

Update: I was able to signout, sign in and publish. I continued to experience the issue with other reports and signing out was the solution. Fingers crossed that MSFT is on it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.