Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rubenvw
Advocate I
Advocate I

Problem when presenting sameperiodlastyear data based on weeknumbers

I have a problem in DAX using the SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function when presenting the data based on weeknumbers. I am struggling with this for more than 10 hours and still did not found the cause of the problem..:(

I am having a cumulative sales measure (year to date):

YTDSales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[SalesAmount]);DATESBETWEEN(Date[Date];DATE(YEAR(MAX(Date[Date]));1;1);MAX(Date[Date])))

The measure for creating the 'Sales Previous Year':

SalesPreviousYear = CALCULATE([YTDSales];SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Date[Date]))

My date table is dynamic, based on SalesDates (minSalesDate and maxSalesDates are variables):

CALENDAR(DATE(YEAR(minSalesDate);MONTH(minSalesDate);DAY(minSalesDate));DATE(YEAR(maxSalesDate);MONTH(maxSalesDate);DAY(maxSalesDate)))

Everything works fine when I present the data within a table using the columns Date, YTDSales, SalesPreviousYear. When I replace the date column for weeknumber("ww") and set a report filter on year 2017, it does not show the right value for the previous year. The date table is generated until 01-06-2017 and the incorrect value is for weeknumber 22. I think it show a value that should be presented around week 25/26/27.

Does anyone know the cause of the problem that it does not show the correct data for the previous year when I present the data per weeknumber?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The inbuilt time intelligence functions must use the date column. If you want to use anything else (like a week number) you must use custom time intelligence.  I explain that here http://exceleratorbi.com.au/dax-time-intelligence-beginners/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Is there any reason why you can't use totalytd() to calculate your YTD number?  That is the first thing I would try

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks for your reply @MattAllington

It is a good point, I will change it. But it does not solve my problem:(

The inbuilt time intelligence functions must use the date column. If you want to use anything else (like a week number) you must use custom time intelligence.  I explain that here http://exceleratorbi.com.au/dax-time-intelligence-beginners/

Great. I think this should be the solution.

After reading your blog I do understand the Time Intelligence better and  I have figured out a solution (using dateadd). 

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.