Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ErikKoehorst
Regular Visitor

Preview refresh not working

I have an Excel file with multiple tables in it. My Power Bi is getting it's data from this Excel file.

Whenever I change anything to the tables in the excel file, Power Bi query editor doesn't update the preview so I can properly edit my queries.

In the "fields" section on the main screen, it is showing the latest version of the table. so there seems to be a proper connection.

I tried the "refresh preview", "refresh all" buttons. No succes. I also restarted the power bi file, no succes.

Can you solve this for me?

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@ErikKoehorst

Before you click “Refresh All” in Query Editor, did you save your updated excel files?

I can get the tables refreshed successfully by clicking “Refresh All”, just after I save my excel file. I'm using the Feb 2017 version of Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Refresh All doesn't really force it to refresh if your files are on Sharepoint. I've been trying for the last 30min to refresh what Power BI sees in my Excel files, but the content from our Sharepoint site (office 365) is cached in Power BI and Refresh Preview and Refresh All don't seem to force it to refresh. Frustrating as I have to wait until it decides to allow a full refresh to continue working on the report.

It seems to sort itself out within an hour or two, but that is a real hassle.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.